Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

wireless networking

• Please log in to reply

tracybet

tracybet

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
:tazz: Hello I hope someone can help me I have jus upgraded my downstairs pc to 3 meg and i have another computer upstairs for my daughter I use an origo 802.11g wireless broadband router. It as always worked on both pc's untill i jus upgraded it is showing as connected but wen i do a search it is comin up wiv cannot find server. I dont know if this is anything t do wiv it but wen i check the ip address it is totally different from my address please help. The origo was set up by my friends boyfriend and they have now split up so i am lost PLEASE HELP ;)
I have also tried getting into the router box to change some settins but the guy who put it in for me as put as password in so i cannot even get in to change anything i dont want to uninstall and reinstall incase i mess my pc up I have tried e.mailin him and it as come back not delivered and is phone number is not available HELP ;)

Edited by tracybet, 25 April 2005 - 05:16 PM.

Advertisements

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
ok you will need to do a hard reset which will bump out the password but it will restore the router to factory defaults, what u will need to do is use a pin or something and locate the reset button on the back of the router and hold it in there for a minute, then u should be able to log into it and set it up if u require further assistance setting it up let me know.

james

tracybet

tracybet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
hello
Thanks i did that last nite and i changed the password but i still cannot get my daughters pc on the net it is showin as conected but wen i try t go on the net it says server cannot be found i darent muck about wiv the settins on the router as i dont know wot i am doing and i mite mess up my internet .
Thanx again hope u can help me again :tazz:

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
ok can u tell me the ip adress of both computers and the router i will then be able to offer further guidance.

partyben

partyben

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
If your computer is working ok on the Internet then it would look like the routers config is ok :tazz: .

Have you tried to release and renew the IP address of the computer that cant get on to the net?

To do this you will need know what Operating System you are using as it is differant for earlier windows versions. (Pre XP)

(Assuming you have windows XP)

1. Click start

2. Control Panel

3. Double click Network Connections

4. Right Click on Local Area Connection (Maybe Named Differantly)

5. Choose Status

6. Choose the Tab at the top called Support

7. Click Repair

8. Asuming all went ok it should now say "Windows finished repairing your connection. You can try connecting again."

This might sort out your problem. Hope it helps. ;)

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
i was holding fire on confusing the issues i was asking the ip adressing so i could eliminate the possibility of them bein out of 1 anothers range and also going to tell her to point the default gateway and the dns server at the ip adress of the router.

partyben

partyben

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Fair Enough. Sorry to have got in the way.

Its strange though because just upgrading the PC wouldnt effect anything so it would suggest that its just the client machine?

I'll leave it to u anyway. :tazz: ;) ;)

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
no problem friend just like to excluede the simple basics b4 getting onto more complicated stuff but yes id have thought it would be on the client end 2.

partyben

partyben

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
No Problem. Hope its not the Router Hey!
Ben :tazz:

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
nah pretty shore it will just be the ips or something simple with the client system.

tracybet

tracybet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi Thanx yes av done a repair of the network and it wrks but still cannot get on the internet still getting the same message cannot find server ;)
I have done the ipconfig/all and this is what i get ip routing not enabled, Wins proxy not enabled. Ethernet adapter local area connection, Net Bios over tcip not enabled. Tunel adapter toredo tunneling pseudo interface, dhcp not enabled, net bios over tcip not enabled. Tunnel adapter 6-4 puesdo interface dhcp and netbios over tcip not enabled. Tunnel adapter automatic tunneling pseudo interface, same dhcp and netbios not enabled i dont know if this means anything thanx :tazz:

Edited by tracybet, 26 April 2005 - 02:20 PM.