Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Spyware Issues/Internet Speed Monitor? [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Hi Bill, we always recommend that you update Windows with the latest patches/fixes available, especially if they are urgent fixes. SP2 has been out for a while now and basically everyone should have that installed on Windows XP for better security.

The last log was basically clear. Just want to make sure everything is working normally now.

Advertisements

skumpet

skumpet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
i'm close to throwing this computer out the window. i attempted to download SP2, it jammed over halfway through so i had to restart my computer. then my computer says i have it installed, but when i go to the windows site and view my recent upgrades, it shows that the download failed. so i attempt to re-download which is what the site recommends and then go around and around the same sites going through the express scan for updates over and over and i don't see anywhere saying that XP2 will be downloaded. also, when i restarted my computer windows doesn't detect any antivirus though i have clamwin. is that normal? i also seem to have remnents of norton even though i removed it from my control panel. there is still one thing of norton that shows up there, but when i try to remove it it says that it had previously been attempted but there was a problem. what does that mean??

thanks again for your help...

regards,
bill

skumpet

skumpet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
well i uninstalled both Xp2 and norton and then reinstalled xp2. should i do anything else?

thanks,
bill

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
If you still have some Norton remnants left behind, run this Norton Removal Tool to make sure they are all gone.

Your log is clean.

To help prevent future spyware infections, read the Anti-Spyware Tutorial and use the tools provided.

Are there any problems now? If none, go to Start->Run and type in Combofix /u and hit OK to remove it. You should be set to go.

skumpet

skumpet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
it was the norton removal tool that helped me remove the remnants yesterday. so everything seems to be running smoothly now, thanks much for your help. when i go to start and run "combofix/u" it doesn't find anything. are you saying i need to remove combofix? i shouldn't hold onto it for future use if i have issues?

bill

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Make sure there is a space after the word combofix.....so it's combofix <space> /u.

No, don't keep it. It's of no use after a certain amount of days anyway. It has a expiration time so it won't work and probably won't be as effective (needs to be updated :)). So remove it using the combofix /u command.

Let me know if you still run into any problems. Otherwise, post back one more time and I shall mark this topic as solved :)

skumpet

skumpet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
done. thanks so much for all your help! i left you a small donation as a thanks. you have a great site here and are very helpful (and patient!).

regards,
bill

:)

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
No problem Bill. Glad to help out. Thanks for the donation :)

The site doesn't belong to me. I'm just one of the many volunteers who come here and help out those with computer problems :)

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.