Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

"found new hardware" alert problem

• Please log in to reply

LaurenBeth

LaurenBeth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
ok.. this might be a dumb ? but where do I find Device Manager to open it? I'll start looking for it in the meantime... haha... sorry.. I warned you I was clueless!!

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Sorry, you were there before, that's when you told me there were yellow exclamation marks next to some of the devices.

Click on Start then Run, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter.

LaurenBeth

LaurenBeth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
oh yeah... ok... thank you.. let me do all that now :) Thank for being patient!!!

LaurenBeth

LaurenBeth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
ok I did the first part and uninstalled the driver... I restarted the computer... Found new hardware wizard came up.. BUT... it says...

"The hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software"

So how to I get it installed again??

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
You're right back to where you were. I don't know why but the driver for that device is gone. It must have been there when you first got the computer but it is no longer available. Just right click on it and Disable it again.

I believe the only way you are going to resolve this is to Repair XP or restore it to factory state.

Page 19 of the PC Troubleshooting and Maintenance Guide I gave you the link to before, tells you how to run System Recovery from the hard drive. This might also be a good time to create a set of backup discs just in case. Do it before you run System Recovery. Instructions for doing it are also in the same guide.

Chose Standard Recovery, which is a Repair and leaves your files intact. You will have to install all Windows Updates again along with some software, notably Anti-virus or firewall.

Do you have your important data backed up? If not, do it now, before you run System Recovery. It works perfectly 99% of the time but if you're the 1% when it goes haywire, then your data may be gone.

Edited by Ztruker, 20 April 2008 - 10:19 PM.