Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

denied access to program files

• Please log in to reply

bigdogalex

bigdogalex

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
using Windows Xp with 2 user accounts. Both users have Computer administrator status. One user has no problems. Same setup for 2nd user. 2nd user unable to install programs (always get the error "unable to open C:\Program files...") Ist user tries to open Program file using My Computer, and gets the message "Access denied"
Is there any settings I have to look at?

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts
If you formatted your Drive as an NTFS drive you might want to give the second user access privledges.

You do this by right clicking the folder and hitting properties.
Then go to the "Security" tab. You'll have to add the second user to that list.

Goodluck!

Regards,
Olrik

bigdogalex

bigdogalex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
What folder are you talking about (the one to right ckick on) I didn't set up the computer.
Thanks for reply

what_the

what_the

• Pip
  • 9 posts
The program files folder.

bigdogalex

bigdogalex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
I thought that was the folder. I did that - right clicked, got 2 tabs General & Sharing. Clicked on Sharing - got the statement at the bottom " All options on this tab are disabled because this folder is used by the operating system" , so I was uanable to share with other user
Any other ideas?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
By design XP will not let you share Program Files as it is a system file. The same applies if you try to share Windows or Documents & Settings.
If you want access to folders inside Program Files, then share those folders instead.

That is, if you have for example C:\Program Files\Adobe, then share the Adobe folder.

Edited by Neil Jones, 16 April 2008 - 05:04 PM.

bigdogalex

bigdogalex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
f you check the original problem, when the user tries to install a program, the program tries to open the Program file to install it into that folder, it won't open the folder saying "access is denied" so the program won't install