Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with multiple Malware programs

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,503 posts
  • MVP

Edit: Just thought that I should mention as well that when i got to start, run, and then services.msc it says that the installer is not started and will not let me start it. When I try to I get a 1067 error.

You should have told that earlier when I asked to troubleshoot. All you said was that it didn't work. The errors are important though :)

So basically, it's because the Windows Installer service won't start. Do you also have this on your new account?
Also, did you set the startup type for Windows Installer to automatic, clicked OK and rebooted? Did that work?

Also, go to services > Windows Installer > Login tab

click allow service to interact with desktop

then switch to automatic and restart the service.

It may be a good idea to download and apply this regfix:
http://www.kellys-ko...ininstaller.reg

Download it to your desktop, and doubleclick it afterwards to merge it into the registry.

But I guess that your registry permissions got messed up here, which may explain this as well.
You have been using RegistryBooster before and this user is having the exact same problem after using it:
http://www.experts-e...Q_23280817.html
Solution is posted there and it worked. Scroll down to see the solutions and follow them. It's with screenshots there.
Make sure you back up the registry first!

Advertisements

Feanorfenwe

Feanorfenwe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I tried those but still no luck

miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Expert

• 5,503 posts
  • MVP
Then I am really out of ideas though... We actually tried EVERYTHING that I could think of. If that didn't work either, then I guess it's time for a Windows repair install (as also being mentioned on the Microsoft Windows Installer troubleshooting page).

Unless you didn't really follow all these instructions, because previously, you also said you tried it, but no luck, but then afterwards, 2 pages later, you said that you couldn't start the Windows installer service, since it gave you an error.
I actually already asked you to start that service in one of the first steps I gave you, but you never spoke about that error then. That's why I have the feeling that not everything was tried...

Feanorfenwe

Feanorfenwe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I told you about that error the moment it came up. You didn't hear about it before because it didn't come up before.

miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Expert

• 5,503 posts
  • MVP
So basically, it didn't give you an error then? That doesn't make sense though... Unless not everything was tried before.

As I already said, you have been using Registry tools before - and as I already said in a previous post - I gave you the link to a thread where the user was having EXACTLY the same problem after using Uniblue Registrybooster. The instructions there worked for him, after he also tried everything else.
RegistryCleaners damage A LOT and mess with your computer. A broken registry is a broken windows, so what I suggest here is, please reread the thread again I posted about previously and perform the same steps that were given there as well. If that didn't make any change, then I suggest you perform a Windows Repair install, because after all, this issue wasn't caused by malware, but because the registry got corrupted/files got corrupted.

Microsoft advices the same as well if none of the solutions work to resolve these installer issues:
http://support.micro...om/?kbid=315353

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install: www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Feanorfenwe

Feanorfenwe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I have actually never used a registry tool on this version of windows before. I'm not sure where you got that from.

Edited by Feanorfenwe, 26 April 2008 - 08:45 AM.

miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Expert

• 5,503 posts
  • MVP
You did though - it's in your log:

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Uniblue RegistryBooster 2] F:\Program Files\Uniblue\RegistryBooster 2\RegistryBooster.exe /S

You actually installed it recently as I see in the Combofix log:

2008-04-14 01:03 . 2008-04-14 01:03 <DIR> d-------- F:\Documents and Settings\Justin\Application Data\Uniblue

Feanorfenwe

Feanorfenwe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Then that was installed without my knowledge.

Not lying to you here, I honestly did not use that.

I just went through and tried everything again and still nothing.

Edited by Feanorfenwe, 26 April 2008 - 09:20 AM.

miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Expert

• 5,503 posts
  • MVP

I just went through and tried everything again and still nothing.

Ok, then I'm afraid that a repair install will be the best solution here - because we really tried everything I could think of. I also asked some other experts to look at this thread and asked for their opinion, and they also said that everything was already tried here.. (well, at least the instructions were given to try it).
Your system became corrupted, due to malware and the Registrycleaner, or was most probably already corrupted before, because you were also having problems with your other useraccount as well, also corrupted.
So let's see if a Windows repair install fixes it.
The Windows repair install won't delete your files, however, I suggest you back them up anyway, this just in case.
In case, the Windows repair install didn't solve it as well, then I suggest a format and reinstall. Because actually, your system was severly infected before, you didn't even have an Antivirus installed, so God knows how long you were already infected. And even though we were able to clean the malware, the damage the malware already caused cannot always be repaired and you will never be able to trust this system ever again.

Then that was installed without my knowledge.

Interesting, so you're sure you didn't install it?
If that's indeed the case, then I'll investigate this, because if it was installed without your knowledge, then it's certainly a tool that we have to watch, how it was installed then... and put on the "blacklist"
And, your story makes sense, because I see A LOT of logs recently where Uniblue Registry Booster is present - I always wondered how it comes that so many people have it installed, unless it was indeed installed without their knowledge, together with malware.

Feanorfenwe

Feanorfenwe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
THen I'll try for the repair install, but do you know if there is any way to do that if I don't have the windows install CD? Cause my brother happens to have it right know since it is OEM.

Advertisements

miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Expert

• 5,503 posts
  • MVP
You need the Windows CD, or Repair CD for that - there's no other way around.