Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

High Pitched Noise

• Please log in to reply

boomer456

boomer456

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm not sure which category to put this in, but im fairly certain its something to do with ~hardware~ Anyways a couple days ago i got a high pitched noise while playing World of Warcraft. When i alt+tab back to desktop the noise goes away...just recently the noise has gotten louder and a new addition which i can only describe as "crispy" or "crackly", it almost sounds like a fan hitting a wire, but ive checked all visible wires. I think the sound is coming from my MB or PSU, but im not sure...could be a short somewhere? It has something to do with the amount of power im using correct? Thats why it only happens in a demanding game? SO what are ur thoughts on what it is and how can i fix it?

::UPDATE::
As of a couple hours after writing this my computer froze and i had to hard restart it...now it wont get by the windows loading screen...i didn't change anything i was just surfing the web when it froze

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you add any new hardware or software before you started having problems...
can you get into your bios...if set it to the safe or default settings...
can you boot into safe mode...

boomer456

boomer456

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I did not add any hardware or software recently and when i try to start up safemode it freezes...i can get into everything pre-windows load screen (bios, boot startup, etc)

btw Escape from LA/NY are sweet :)

krs1

krs1

• PipPipPip
  • 476 posts
Hi guys,just wanna help....

Really high pitch, noise is most likely electronic.

sounds like a dying PSU,one of your PSU's component is already dead & the resistor next to that component is now being cooked by excessive amounts of electricity.Usually, the resistor gets hot,if it exceeds the percent of the rated value or tolerance,and makes a strange high-pitched squeal.

that could happen (in damaged PSU component) in instances when a certain hardware or device draws more power from the PSU.

motherboards have resistors too (almost a dot size),but it would be an easier approach to check the PSU first.perhaps you can borrow a PSU from a friend nearby.

Edited by krs1, 14 April 2008 - 11:08 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
good advice krs1...just make sure the psu you try is the same or greater wattage...
if its not a psu issue it could be one of several possibilities.... video driver...bad ram...others
you can try memtest...also chkdsk...

Edited by happyrck, 15 April 2008 - 07:10 AM.

boomer456

boomer456

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Alright thanks guys ill try a new PSU first and let you know what happens