Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop can no longer find main computer and files

• Please log in to reply

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
So you made your share now? :)
Try accessing it on your laptop.

Regards,
Olrik

Advertisements

BeckyH

BeckyH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
It won't change it to the new name I created on the screen where it says network path it still says:
Network path:
\\Mainbedroom\c
I've tried typing in every possible combination I can think of and it isn't working.... :)

sorry for the delay, today was one of my full days at school Tomorrow (Wed) I should be home all morning to try and get this thing to work, I really need it to with exams next week....

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts

It won't change it to the new name I created on the screen where it says network path it still says:
Network path:
\\Mainbedroom\c
I've tried typing in every possible combination I can think of and it isn't working.... :)

sorry for the delay, today was one of my full days at school Tomorrow (Wed) I should be home all morning to try and get this thing to work, I really need it to with exams next week....

This is all on your laptop right?
If Yes, then you'll need to recreate a network by following the steps a couple of posts ago.
Try to keep as detailed as you can, it'll help you in the end :)

Regards,
Olrik

BeckyH

BeckyH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
no that is what it says on my main computer which is the one I want to share files from

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
I will inform over IRC and ask for anyone with a fair bit of Vista Knowledge to guide you through the sharing part :)

Regards,
Olrik

BeckyH

BeckyH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
thank you very much
That is why its driving me nuts...I have a network set up which the main computer, router for wireless access, and one printer is on. The laptop USED to be able to access certain folders on the main computer and the printer and now it doesn't BUT when I log on to the laptop it says "now connected to thehalenetwork" it just can't find those folders and printers that it WAS finding 8-10 days ago...
sorry to be such a pain to you :-(