Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

What is "DirectDB NotifyWnd"?

• Please log in to reply

bettei

bettei

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
I have XP Media Center 2005 on an HP desktop. Every once in a while when I try to shut down my computer, I get a pop up window"End Program...direct db notify wnd". I have to end this program before windows will shut down properly. And sometimes when I go from surfing the net and back to Outlook Express to look at my email, Outlook won't open, and when I shut down the computer, I get the same "end program" window.

What could be causing this? I have up to date virus protection that updates daily, and I run Spybot every couple weeks. I know that incorrect shut downs can eventually hurt a computer, so I am asking if there is anything I can do for this.

Also, when I run Spybot, most of the entries to be deleted are from HP tracking cookies. I would like to disable those, but when I go to msconfig and look at startup programs, there are so many that have HP in the titles, I am afraid of deleting the wrong ones, and possibly cause problems with my printers, etc. How can you tell which ones are tracking cookies?

Thanks!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
From another forum,

I wanted to share how I fixed the error direct db notify error that locked up outlook express and when shutting down windows to reboot, then directdbnotify would popup as a problem causing Outlook Express to screwup. This happened starting about 3 weeks ago.
After compacting emails, removing everything that was stored in Outlook, no progress, even with other restoring to earlier restore points when it computer worked good.

WHAT I DID WAS THIS. I HAVE CA (COMPUTER ASSOCIATES) INTERNET SUITE ANTI VIRUS INSTALLED........HENCE, I WENT AND OPENED UP MAIN CA "FIREWALL" PROGRAM AND SAW, CLEAN CACHE NOW" I WAS AFRAID AT FIRST THAT IT WOULD ERASED IMPORTANT STUFF........BUT I WENT AHEAD AND PRESSED "CLEAN CACHE NOW" AND
WHAM, PROBLEM FIXED AND ALL WORKS GOOD.
SO, "FIND OUT HOW TO CLEAN YOUR CACHE" THIS SOLVED THE PROBLEM. ALL OTHER ATTEMPTS TO DELETE EMAILS, DELETED EMAILS ETC. DO NOT WORK.
--------
I have found a solution. Although not the same as yours, it possibly has the same root cause. My problem existed because although I had shut down Outlook Express, the RSS feeder program was still active. Closing that brought an immediate cure.

You also might check at the malware forum and see if some kind of malware got into your outlook express.

SRX660

snooker

snooker

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
Hi ... See from these sites if they can help or applies to your problem

http://www.insideoe.....htm#foldersdbx

http://www.insideoe....rrors.htm#crash

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=233264

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
I am still having problems with this fouling up mainly Outlook Express...it fails to open sometimes. Some of those directions seemed a little advanced for me to do. I did clear the cache of CA virus protection, and that is all. My computer will work fine for a while, then I switch and go to Outlook for my email, and it won't open. When I go to shut down my computer, I get a window "end program-directdbnotify", program is not responding. I end the program and shut down my computer.
So! This morning I tried to open my computer, and it looked like it had opened normally. ( I am on another computer to type this) It was running like molasses, everything I tried to do didn't respond. CA did do the virus update like always, but Outlook wouldn't open, MSN home page didn't respond. I tried to go to my PC doctor and run something like software or driver repair. I finally got that window to come up, but it gave me too many choices to choose from. If it is a driver that is giving me problems, which one do you choose to run the wizard on?
If I can get it to open in safe mode, is there any system or driver repair diagnostic I can run? Please tell me how to do all that.
It is out of warranty, I can't get help from HP. Do you have any suggestions? It's so frustrating to have a computer work fine one minute, not the next.
Thanks!

suplepa

suplepa

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi folks,

Thank you for the suggestions. :) I had a friend with this issue and compacting her Outlook Express files did not fix the issue. However, your suggestions made me think we needed to look at her a/v. We ended up turning off the Mail Security features in TrendMicro. All is well now and she can shut down w/o that error and she can re-open Outlook Express multiple times with no issues.

Here are the steps.
1. Double-click the Trend Micro PC-cillin icon on the bottom right of your screen (it looks like a little blue and white pill).
2. On the left side of the Trend Micro PC-cillin program, click on the “Mail” icon.
3. On the right side of the menu, click on “Mail Scan”
4. There are three tabs, you should first be on the “Email Client (Incoming)” tab. Make sure there is no checkmark in the box next to “Scan incoming messages retrieved using supported email clients”. To remove the checkmark, click inside the box. Then click the “Apply” button at the bottom.
5. Repeat this step for the next tab called “Email Client (Outgoing)”. Make sure there is no checkmark in the first box, the click the “Apply” button at the bottom.
6. Next, click on the Mail icon on the left side of the screen.
7. On the right side, click on the “Anti Spam” option.
8. Make sure there is no check mark in the box next to “Turn on Anti-spam”. To remove the checkmark, click inside the box. Then click the “Apply” button at the bottom.
9. After making these changes, shut down the computer, turn it back on, connect to your Internet service, open Outlook Express; then close both the Internet connection and Outlook Express. Then connect to the Internet again and try Outlook Express again.

Thanks!