Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Explorer Limitations

• Please log in to reply

hishighness

hishighness

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey all,

I'm in the process of attempting to streamline my computer, getting all the video files in one place and the pictures, etc. But I've found Windows Explorer usually causes more problems than it solves. I do a search for say all .jpg files and it finds them so I highlight all of them and try to copy but it comes up Cannot move file: Cannot read from the source file or disk. Now obviously there's one or more files in there that have a problem but it won't even tell me which one(s) they are. Is there a way to set it so it'll transfer all the files it doesn't have a problem with, or a program that can do that for me, or at least get it to tell me which files it has a problem with so I can deselect them?

I'd appreciate any help you could offer.

Thanks for your time,

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I suspect you are trying to move files that are in use in some way....Can you use the search function more discriminantly by using
LOOK IN:
browse....and selecting a folder subset?