Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need Suggestions

• Please log in to reply

spaztastic

spaztastic

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
I own a Gateway 300S desktop. I want to replace all of the existing hardware with new hardware. I I want to keep the case, monitor, mouse and keyboard. I need some suggestions for what to put in it. It will be used for internet browsing, music, some video and a few games, such as World of Warcraft. I will not be using it as a Media Center, but just to store my multimedia. The operating system will be Windows XP, as I have a retail copy of Vista if I choose to install it.

The computer has a Micro ATX case. I want a new motherboard as well as video card, sound card, RAM, CPU, hard drive and a CD/DVD combo drive. I'll need at least 1GB RAM. My budget is $600. I would prefer links to hardware that is listed on either Newegg.com or TigerDirect.com

Thank you.

Advertisements

spaztastic

spaztastic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Here is a little of what I'm looking at:

Motherboard:
GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H AM2 AMD 690G HDMI Micro ATX AMD

Memory:
Kingston 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

CD-ROM:
LITE-ON 20X DVD±R 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner with LightScribe

Edited by spaztastic, 14 April 2008 - 09:00 PM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
The big problem with using OEM cases is the front panel connections are usually custom and may not match a generic motherboard. Also some OEM cases do not have a removable back plane so it may not be possible to match that either.

You may be better off with a smaller new generic case. It's hard to find the smaller cases though.

spaztastic

spaztastic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hm... well my budget is $600. If you could recommend a case, any size, that would be great. It doesn't need to be fancy in any way, shape or form. Just a regular case but of course with enough fans to properly cool my computer. The case doesn't need a slot for a floppy drive and memory card reader ports are not necessary either.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi there,

I like Cooler Master for cheap, decent cases. This one is $45 and comes with a 120mm fan. If that's not enough cooling for you, then add an extra 120mm fan in the front.

Here's where I would head with it (case up top):

Motherboard
Processor <--- although I'm not up-to-date on AMD processors, so somebody may have a better choice here!
Memory
DVD Burner
Hard Drive
Video Card
Power Supply Unit

As you already have a retail copy of Vista, I recommend you use it. This currently rounds out to $595, and should set you straight with most uses of a computer, including some gaming at medium settings with no problems. World of Warcraft will run very well on this system, as it does not have very high system requirements. :)

Cheers

Troy

spaztastic

spaztastic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I don't have a problem with AMD, although I prefer Intel. I was kind of looking at getting an Intel Core 2 Duo. Haven't looked at the rest of the list yet, I'll let ya know what I think once I get a chance to. Thank you :)

spaztastic

spaztastic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Thank you very much Troy, I do appreciate your help. One more thing: I like the Micro ATX Cases (Shuttle PCs for example) and I would be very interested to build one. The question is, do you know of a site that I can go to and have them custom build me just the PC? I'd prefer to build it myself but I'm having some difficulty in finding a good barebone Micro ATX Kit, or just a case by itself.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi there,

I was assuming you were intending on an AMD kit because you had selected an AMD-compatible motherboard and listed it in post #2. That being said, for a computer of this budget, I should think an AMD system would suit your needs fine.

For an mATX case, here is a Cooler Master choice. Then you would need to change the motherboard to mATX also, so it will fit. Here is a nice Gigabyte example, although a little more expensive. It also has onboard video, if ever you have a problem with video cards.

And finally, if you are going to be using such a small case, I would recommend you upgrade to a modular power supply, otherwise you'll have cables everywhere inside that case. This one is a little expensive again, but well and truly worth the money in my opinion. It's an excellent unit.

Cheers

Troy

spaztastic

spaztastic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I have saved the list of the components that you have recommended. I want to know if you could look at the following list and tell me if these items are all compatible (can be assembled without any problems) and if they would suit my needs. I think I covered everything in the list. Here it is:

Shuttle KPC K45-Black Intel Socket T(LGA775) Intel 945GC 2 x 240Pin Intel GMA 950 KPC Barebone
Intel Pentium E2200 Allendale 2.2GHz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
Crucial 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) System Memory
Western Digital Caviar SE WD800AAJS 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
LG Black CD/DVD Burner 2MB Cache SATA

Total cost for all that, before shipping and tax, is a little over $300. I know that I can make the computer better by paying a little more but I just wanted to see if I could put together a list of hardware components first.

Edited by spaztastic, 16 April 2008 - 08:20 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi there,

It looks fine, but I'm not sure about what PSU is included in that Shuttle Barebones. The only information I could find said 100W, so if it's a 100W PSU then you would need to steer away from it!

Also you would need to consider the upgradeability factor (or lack thereof!). But if this is not an issue for you, then it looks fine.

Cheers

Troy

spaztastic

spaztastic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
How about this:

Barebone - $174.99
Processor - $124.99
Memory - $37.99
Hard Drive - $48.99
DC/DVD Drive - $22.99
Video Card - $94.99

Price - $504.94
Shipping - $28.61
Total Price - $$533.55
Mail-In Rebate - $30.00
Final Price after MIR - $503.55

Edited by spaztastic, 18 April 2008 - 12:17 PM.

FadeToBright

FadeToBright

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
spaztastic,

Just make sure that the Shuttle has plenty of breathing room, especially with a video card like that in it. The components are close together and diverting the heat will be crucial. Other then that, looks like a great build!

-Fade

spaztastic

spaztastic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
The video card is optional in my opinion. The only program I run that isn't graphic-intensive in any way is World of Warcraft and I'm sure that will run fine with the integrated graphics on the barebone's motherboard.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi there,

Again a 250W PSU is going to be cutting it fairly close... Dumping the graphics card and running on integrated graphics hopefully will keep you under the limit.

Also, I suggest getting a SATA hard drive, they are faster and have smaller cables. Here is the cheapest WD I could find, although if it doesn't bother you, Seagate have a 5-year warranty.

Cheers,

Troy