Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virtual Dimension and Reg Keys

• Please log in to reply

silent_n0va

silent_n0va

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Virtual Dimension, for those who don't know, is an awesome virtual desktop manager that allows you to have infinite desktops. There's an interface you can use to click between the desktops, and there is a system tray icon you use to tweak the settings. You can hide either of these mechanisms or both. I had a tendency to hide both. The problem with this, of course, is that I had to put up the task manager to close VD when I was done, but when I ran it again, everything was back to default.

Lately, though, it saves the previous settings and I can't get either inferface to pop up again, so I can't put up more desktops or close the program properly. I've checked the settings and saving the settings has been disabled. I went to programs and features to uninstall VD but it was not there. I tried unstalling it via the uninstall application VD has with it, but it would not remove the program. I'm thinking I might have to delete the registry keys and reinstall VD, but is it safe to delete registry keys for a software application? The keys are all bundled up under the company. Thanks!

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
It is safe to remove reg keys for applications. It will break the application but if you are reinstalling the application anyways then it shouldn't be an issue.

Just to be safe always back-up registry entries before deleting them. Here is a guide: How to backup your registry

Also as a side note many Linux distros offers the functionality that you are talking about without the need for a third party program.

Edited by Titan8990, 15 April 2008 - 12:14 PM.