Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer freezing and turns off when CD drive used

• Please log in to reply

jakedenman

jakedenman

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I bought a PC off Ebay last year and for the most part am really ahppy with it though i have got one really irritating problem thats been with the PC since i had it.

The computer is prone to freezing even when no tasks are being done, also when i use the CD drive it turns itself off literally the power just cuts and whole PC stops. Though the CD drive problem doesnt happen every time i use it. Whilst its a nice personality trait in a computer id prefer it if i could use the CD drive properly.

Could it be that the PSU is not powerful enough and so trips the system?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
So don't use the CD unit then :)
Seriously though, if you know the drive has an issue, replace it. They're not expensive. If it was a PSU issue it'd affect other things, not just the CD unit.