Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Losing Access to shared drives....

• Please log in to reply

Nunspa

Nunspa

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi everyone!

I have been having an issue which has left more then one of my firends scratching their heads in dismay, they keep telling me I need to just reformat my laptop and reinstall XP, but thats the last thing I want to do (just the thought of doing all the windows updates.. again.. drives me nuts)

I week ago my laptop got hit with the Crypt_Tap-2 bug, I did some resurch and found though this site and others the way to get rid of it... after a LOT of work I finaly got my laptop clean... well at least I think so. I installed Trend Micro Anti-Virus and used some free oneline scans (panda, ect) to make sure I got every bug out of my system...

Well, now I have a new issue I can't track down... I work on a network here at the office where I have 5 shared drives.. some of my programs (AutoCad for example) use menues off these shared drives so they refer to them quite often. I get my work files off of another dive and some resurch files off the last....

Everything is working fine untill I open Windows Media Player and connect on a streaming radio link.. I suddenly lose access to all the drives. I turn off WMP and I can access them again. Also when trying to save something I sometimes get the error saing my system dosint have enough system resorces.

My system is a Dell XPS laptop with a gig of ram... I have 14gigs of free space on my laptop so I know its not lack of HD space...

Anyone have any ideas?

Pb

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hi Pb,

Let's make sure that Crypt_Tap is gone for good. Please follow the instructions in this post. This will get rid of about 80% of all malware. If you are still seeing problems, follow the provided instructions to post a Hijack This! log in our malware removal forum. If you are given a clean bill of health by our malware experts, we can work on this networking issue.