Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to make my computer start up fast?

• Please log in to reply

reload147

reload147

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Hi,
I want to make my computer startup fast, computer fast and internet fast
I have seen ways to make my computer fast like disabling icons in my startup bar and many other stuff
But I want steps from you guys

Thanx

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
It can't all be done simply by "tweaking" some settings and disabling unecessary startup items, though that often helps. The most dramatic improvements to PC performance come from adding more RAM and/or a faster processor. As for internet speed, you can't magically increase it yourself. You are limited by the bandwidth your ISP has allocated to you, which may be limited by several factors such as your distance from the exchange and the condition of the cabling between you and the exchange. Internal extension leads for additional phones can also restrict bandwidth so try not use any.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A computer is only as fast as the slowest component in the machine, which in most instances is the hard drive speed. Until somebody invents a half-decent solid state hard drive, then things aren't going to change any time soon. Internet is a different kettle of fish and you'll probably find you're on an "up to" package which is jargon for "anything but that speed".

reload147

reload147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
cwl thanx :) I found post on other forums and look at this do you think it's gonna work?
http://forums.techar...ad.php?t=480183

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Those things are all minor cosmetic things that, to all intents and purposes, make little difference. Plus anyway if you're told something adds speed, the effect is only what you think is happening, not what has happened. The tip about not displaying wallpaper may have been true a few years ago but these days computers are so fast it really makes no difference.

Nothing you can do is going to make a dramatic difference to how your computer works - Windows being Windows, a fresh installation will work but it means reloading everything, and usually ends up going the same way again anyway.

reload147

reload147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
cool thanx for your help :)

I have done some steps from that forum and.... I can feel that computer is fast but thats the last time ill do it if my comp gets slower again ill try and buy new RAM if I can find it.

Anyway thanx for you help:)