Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Corrupt Windows/system32/config/system file

• Please log in to reply

DSK965

DSK965

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,

My friend dropped off his computer (its a compaq running XP Professional) and asked my to help him out. He is having trouble booting the computer. Message comes up Corrupt Windows/system32/config/system file. He does not have the original XP disc so I got a bootable copy of XP. He tried doing this on his own and went to repair the MBR and I think we have more problems.

First I wanted to save the data on his C drive so I took out the hard drive and put it in my notebook. I am not able to read whats on the C drive comes up that its there.. but cant access it, so I figured when he replaced the MBR we now have major problems. Is there any way to retrieve the data off the drive and do a re format and a fresh install with XP.

Thanks

David

Advertisements

S_t_r_y_k_e_r

S_t_r_y_k_e_r

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi DSK965

I used to run a Compaq PC and it had a recovery program built into it. Certainly with the one I had, when you accessed the recovery program it gave two option of recovery. The first was one that would overwrite only the operating system files but keep the users data. The second option was a destructive recovery. i.e. it would restore it back to the point it came out of the box.

If you can get access to that, the recovery program will detail what each of the options do.

It might be worth a try.

DSK965

DSK965

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Stryker,

I have an HP and it has the C drive and the Recovery D drive but this computer doesnt have that. It says to put in the Original XP Cd and run the recovery from there. My friend doesnt have the CD, I have a bootable XP Cd and tried to do a recovery from that it says it will install another MBR but not sure how to fix the corrupt system32/config file. He tried to repair the MBR from that CD and now I cant read the C drive when I installed it on my computer.

S_t_r_y_k_e_r

S_t_r_y_k_e_r

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Perhaps with hindsight replacing the MBR wasn't such a good idea!

I was browsing through the Microsoft site and found this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

It might be worth giving that a go...especially with you having an XP CD.

pc mick is a cowboy

pc mick is a cowboy

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hiya Guys,

Same sort of problem im having with a fujitsu siemens laptop. Turned it on this morning and got the error message telling me that windows/systen32/config/system is corrupt or missing.

I have a copy of XP from my other DELL laptop, iv been into the BIOS menu and changed the boot priority to CD-DVD ROM and tried restarting, but nothing seems to happen, just back to where i started.

iv been reading all over the internet for a solution, alot of people are talking about pressing "r" to enable the recovery console, this does not work for me either.

Loosing data is the least of my worries, just want my laptop back in working order.

Any help ASAP would be much appreciated.

Cheers Guys :)

Edited by pc mick is a cowboy, 18 September 2009 - 06:35 AM.

n3ko

n3ko

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Hi Cowboy. Posted Image

This is a pretty old thread, you probably won't get a response. Having the same error does not mean it's the same cause, and for that reason may not have the same fix. Each situation is unique. :)

Create your own post with your issues and your computer's model. Also include anything you've attempted to try and fix it so far. Best of luck!