Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

16 Color Only / 256 Not Available

• Please log in to reply

mrjin

mrjin

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello, I got a virus that I couldn't get rid of. My brother in law formatted my hard drive and installed win 98 ( it was win 2000 ). Since then, I only have 16 colors. I cannot change it to 256 because the option is not available at settings. It is an older HP Pavilion 6350. AMD K6 333. Everything worked fine before reformat. Any ideas what I should do ( besides burning it and buying new ). Thanks alot.

Advertisements

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi mrjin
welcome to geekstogo
Most likely when you install win 98 it did not install the right driver for your video card. I looked for the driver for it but I think there is a letter in the model # that you don't post.Here is a link to hp site so you can look for the right driver for your system. Hp site just down load it and install then you should get the 256 color. If you can not find the right driver repost with the full model of your pc and we will help you find it.
<_<

wachob2000

wachob2000

• Pip
  • 6 posts
When I have the problem you have had, the video driver has not been installed. I am not on my home PC right now, but you can go into Control Panel, and I think through add hardware, don't let Windows search for the hardware, you scroll through the list, then I think you won't even have to have a disk with a new driver, it should already be on the Windows startup CD. Generic VGA monitor should do it, that should support 256 colors.

Doubleclick on the monitor you want, does Windows then access the Startup CD?
If so, then try control panel, or restart and try control panel, to see if your 256 colors is now supported.

Good luck.

Robert