Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Need some help in the XP forum

• Please log in to reply

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,062 posts
Have a guy in the XP forum that is getting a MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION 0x0000009C. This is definitely hardware related and I'm completely out of ideas on how to help him. I am going to suggest he run memtest86 for 3-4 complete passes but was hoping some of you hardware oriented folks might take a look and possibly offer some ideas.

If you can, please look at http://www.geekstogo...60#entry1203160

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This error can be caused by faulty memory or an overclocked processor running just beyond its means, or a faulty power supply.
Depending on what the computer is doing when the error occurs, you may be able to trace it to that particular component. So if it occurs during gaming, for example, I'd suspect graphics card.