Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Changing partition?

• Please log in to reply

tommy18

tommy18

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Greetings. I am the type of person who likes to format when I ever feel like I encounter a problem I don’t think I could fix. I notice to save me time when I do format that my motherboard offers something called Xpress Recovery by Gigabyte. So I thought I would try to create a backup image but it tell me something like this “not the primary partition with the operating system”. I have one C drive and one D drive…I want to back up my C drive and my D drive I use to store junk and such.

Any suggestions on how I can go about doing this?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Usually the "C" drive is the operating system drive and is the primary partition. The "D" drive is usually a DATA drive for files you want to save. This also means there is no operating system on the "D" to create a IMAGE from, just data. ISO images are usually of operating system and bootable from the CD. You can just copy all the data from the D drive to CD's or DVD's with typical burning software using normal methods. The one caveat here is if you installed programs on the "D" drive that are run from the "C" drive operating system. I never suggest doing this simply because it can cause problems if you need to reinstall windows. I always install programs on the "C" drive and keep all data on the "D" drive.

SRX660