Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Old ME drive to new XP computer

• Please log in to reply

seaweed

seaweed

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Dear Experts,

I bought a new computer running XP and want to transfer my old files and programs from my old computer running ME, what is the best way to do this? Can I just slave the old drive in the new computer do I need to network them using a modem and hub or router?

Thanks in advance!!!

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
The best way to move stuff to your new system is to use the transfer wizard built into Windows. The two machines need to be on the same network for that. This will move your files and settings over, but not your installed programs. They will include things like your IE Favorites and your Email settings.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Yes, you can slave the old drive into your new computer as long as you have the IDE connector to do so. You will not be able to transfer installed programs to the new computer without running the install's again. Without the registry entries that install programs add the programs just wont work unless they are standalone like some games are. All data can be transfered to the new drive as is usable.

SRX660

seaweed

seaweed

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Tyger,

I was told I could network the 2 with a cat5 through ethernet ports but couldn't find the old comp, so is that a legit hook-up w/o a modem and hub? I think they were different network names.

SRX660

I have read that XP sometimes doesn't find the new drive? Can I just set the jumpers properly and go, or do I need to change bios, double boot, or assign a drive letter in manager?

Thanks

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Yes, you can network the computers. By using the network wizard you can make a floppy drive for thewindows ME coputer so the XP computer can see it.Heres some links.

http://www.microsoft...etup/wired.mspx

To start the Network Setup Wizard on a Windows XP computer, Click Start | All Programs | Accessories | Communications | Network Setup Wizard.

http://www.practical...orksetupwiz.htm

If your not planning on keeping the ME computer i would still take the drive out and install it in the XP computer. You will need to set the drive as cable select or slave(i prefer cable select). So far i have never had a problem seeing any hard drive in the XP computers. I also have 2 desktop and 2 laptop HD's in external enclosures that i use for backup purposes. I have no problems seeing these USB drives also.

Heres the jumper setup on Seagate drives.

Posted Image

If your drive is a different maker they may be different. Look them up on the internet.

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 16 April 2008 - 06:45 AM.