Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

massive problem

• Please log in to reply

rossco

rossco

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hello im new here hoping you can help me.pc wouldnt turn on one morning changed psu and it worked fine for 2 days then it died again,now if i go to turn it on the psu fan starts and the harddrive light comes on ,if i turn it on and off again then the power light comes on and the processor fan comes on as well but it still wont fire up.it is an emachines 370,1.8 celeron was working perfectly.do they have fuses inside anywhere or any ideas whats wrong? hope you can help thanks

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Some of the better quality PSUs have internal protection devices but this is unlikely to be the problem if the PSU still producing enough power to turn the fans etc on.

I need a bit more info, I assume you get nothing coming up on the screen but can you tell me :

do the keyboard lights flash up just after powering it on?

do you get any beeps from the system after powering on?

have you changed or removed/added anything at all before the problem started?

what is the power rating (Watts) of the new psu?

Also, do you know what motherboard you have?

rossco

rossco

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
no beeps and no other lights ,the new psu is 350 watts where as the old one was 250but i was told this does not matter.the motherboard is a im845gl

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Cheers for the info. I apologise in advance if anything I suggest seems really obvious to you but I have no idea how much you know about computer hardware!

BTW 350W is minimal but fine, I'm amazed it even worked with the 250W psu!

First thing to check, given that you've changed the PSU is that you have the 4 pin CPU power connector attached.

If this is all OK, the other things that spring to mind as a possibility are :

Is the CPU fan functioning OK

Is the cpu fan's power connector plugged into the right socket on the mobo. Theres normally 2 or 3 of these connectors (for case fans etc) & they will all work with the cpu fan but as your mobo has fan fault detection, if its not connected correctly, it won't allow the system to boot.

NB if you decide to remove/replace the hsf at any point to test it, you must clean the heatsink & reapply thermal paste before reconnecting it to the cpu. If you try a different hsf, same applies & make sure will provide adequate cooling for your chip.

If that all checks out fine, then remove all components, leaving only the cpu/hsf, RAM, psu, keyboard, video. disconnect all drive cabling from mobo.
Clear the cmos. This is jumper J4 on your mobo, jumper pins 2-3 for 10 secs then replace (pins 1-2) as before.

Try & boot the system

Let me know how this goes before we try anything else