Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive failing and installed new one

• Please log in to reply

suni315

suni315

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello I am new so please bear with me

I have a compaq presario sr181onx with windows xp
the maxtor diamondmax 10 hdd PATA 133
was starting to fail so I purchased an identical drive to replace or add too.

Put the new drive in as Master hooked up old to slave
Everything went fine got it to load up and was even on the net I did not
put the drives inside tried them first before hand so if it didnt work i wouldnt have to pull it all back out

So....... since it worked, unhooked everything and properly installed the drives now it wont do anything except say
disk boot failure I am pretty sure I hooked everything back the way I had it when it worked
but cant be 100 percent sure I did not remove anything from the motherboard only the cables to the drives but cant be sur I didnt accidentally remove something. I do not have a recovery disk because compaq does not give them when you buy a computer so AM I SCREWED?

Do you think I erased the data completely when I unhooked it I am so frustrated I wish there were pictures to show me the exact hookup from the board to the drives I am at a loss

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If you got a software disk with the new Maxtor drive put your old drive in the master position, the new drive in the slave position and boot your system using the software CD and follow the instructions for adding the new drive as the boot device. The instructions are clear and easy to follow and give good results.

Of you didn't get the software disk go to the Maxtor website, download the Maxblast .iso file and burn it to disk as an image and use it for the described procedure.