Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

graphics card/screen?

• Please log in to reply

RyMaster17

RyMaster17

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
i have a gateway 265M laptop.

Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB of RAM
ATI Radeon HD 2300

Problem is the screen quality looks like crap. pics and movies are very grainy. how can i tell what is causing this? i'm assuming its the screen or the graphics device. any assitance is appreciated. thanks.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
First, can you change the resolution of the display? when the display is at 640x 480 it does notlook very good. Changing it to 1024 x 768 makes the display much more detailed. If you cannot change the display it is because you do not have the display drivers installed on the laptop. You will need to go to the gateway website and download and install the video drivers.

http://support.gatew...rs/dlcenter.asp

SRX660

RyMaster17

RyMaster17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
i have the ability to change the resolution. its currently set to 1400×1050. it looks worse at 1024 x 768.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If you cannot set the color depth to 32 bit or 24 bit i would look on the laptop makers website for updated video drivers.

SRX660

RyMaster17

RyMaster17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
i can set depth to 32. it still just dose not look as good as my older dell inspiron 1100. videos look grainy and pixely.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Some screens have poor scaling which makes anything other than the native resolution look bad. Try using your laptop's native resolution of 1280x800.

RyMaster17

RyMaster17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
correction my resolution is set to 1280x800.