Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgraded RAM, seeking help for optimization

• Please log in to reply

Sylenced1

Sylenced1

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello there, I am in need of help in tweaking my new RAM. I recently upgraded to G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory, or http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820231065. This memory is a good deal better then what I was using before, and being the big gamer that I am, I wanted to learn how I could optimize my RAM to run at a better potential, but safely. A little bit about my system setup as follows:

Motherboard: Gigabyte P35-DS3L
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
Power Supply: 600W PSU
Hard Drive: WD Raptor 150 GB, 1.5 Gb/s, 16 MB Cache, 10,000 RPM

F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ is the model number of the RAM. I have personally never overclocked anything, messed with voltages, anything of the sort. I checked out my BIOS, and I can't really see in there what it is currently set at voltage wise. I believe this motherboard has a default of 1.8V for RAM? The recommended voltage for the GSKILL is 2.0-2.1V. Basically, I am here looking for advice on how I can optimize the RAMS performance, without ruining it. I payed extra for better RAM, so it would be great to learn how to make sure it is running its best. I have no idea how to set timings either :[ Thanks in advance! Any advice is appreciated.

Advertisements

Sylenced1

Sylenced1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Some updated information, took a look in the bios, and these are the current settings for the memory as left on auto:

CAS latency time: 5
DRAM RAS# to CAS# delay: 5
DRAM RAS# Precharge: 5
Precharge delay (tRas): 15
Act to Act Delay (tPRD): 11
Rank Write to Real Delay: 5
Write to Precharge Delay: 10
Refresh to ACT delay: 46
Read to Precharge Delay: 5
tRD: 6
tRD Phase Adjustment: 1

Not sure if that helps, but any input would be appreciated.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
So you are looking to get this RAM to run at the specified timings, correct?

To do so:
  • Set the RAM Voltage to 2.0V. (Some quick googling shows the option to do this should be labeled "DDR2 OverVoltage Control".)
  • Set the "CAS latency time" to 4.
  • Set the "DRAM RAS# to CAS# delay" to 4.
  • Set the "DRAM RAS# Precharge" to 4.
  • Set the "Precharge delay (tRas)" to 12.
  • Set the Row Cycle Time (tRC) to 16. (If you have it... You did not list it.)
  • Reboot and test for stability.
  • If system is unstable, raise RAM Voltage to 2.1V. If it is stable, you're done!
I'm sorry if I misunderstood what you wanted. Are you looking to overclock as well?

Sylenced1

Sylenced1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Awesome! Thanks so very much :] Not looking to overclock, just wanting to get them running at what they are specced for. I will give this a go tonight, appreciate it!