Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DVD RW Problem

• Please log in to reply

kh1000

kh1000

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
I've been having problems with running CDs on my hard drive. Lately I've tried running an Audio CD but it just refuses to recognize it. When I insert the CD, I hear the drive spinning and stopping multiple times. It basically starts and stops and it doesn't recognize the CD. When I go to Computer and click on the DVD RW drive, it spits out the CD and says "Insert a CD". Also I have ran it with D-Tools and Power ISO turned off. One time I turned them off and it ran. Now it doesn't even run the CD when they're off. My laptop runs on Vista Home Premium.

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Use this Microsoft Guided Help Tool to clear your upper and lower filters from your registry. Post here again with your results!

kh1000

kh1000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Thank you. I tried doing the guided help method but for some reason it doesn't on my comp. it downloads the program but it doesn't run. Is it because I'm running Vista? Anyway, I will do the manual method and let you know what happens.

kh1000

kh1000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I did what the guide told me to do. I was able to delete the upper filter file but not the lower filter file. It the file for the lower filter didn't show up or exist. Afterwards I restarted but the comp still doesn't recognize it.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello kh1000...

Try running the Microsoft Autoplay Wizard on the machine. You may have to validate to download the tool.

wannabe1

kh1000

kh1000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I went to the site and downloaded the program. After I selected the DVDRW drive to be scanned, the program stopped and it gave me a message saying the program stopped functioning properly. I've tried it twice and it gave me the same error message

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try downloading it again...you may have gotten a corrupt download.

kh1000

kh1000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I've downloaded it again and ran the program. It said the same thing: Microsoft Autoplay Wizard has stopped working properly.

kh1000

kh1000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Would it be advisable if I did use the recovery DVD even though my laptop isn't reading DVDs and CDs properly. I've tried using system restore to restore the old registry but it can't be restored properly. I'm worried that I might have to do something like a reformat but I'm not sure how since my DVD/RW drive has trouble recognizing DVDs and CDs.