Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sapphire 2600XT... anyone heard of it?

• Please log in to reply

N3TH

N3TH

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Im currently looking at buying a Sapphire 2600XT 256MB/ DDR4/800/2200MHz GPU, but have no idea if this is going to be worth it!

I know NVIDIA make faster cards, but the specs on this card are better than any NVIDIA card for a similar price... as your guessing Im building on a seriously limited budget... am I wasting my money?

Any advice welcome :)

Advertisements

S_t_r_y_k_e_r

S_t_r_y_k_e_r

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
You could try checking the website http://www.tomshardware.com as it can compare the performance of graphics cards (amongest other componenets) against various gaming/software titles.

Its a great website...especially when it comes to upgrading!

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I'm not sure on prices in Austrailia, but I would go with the 8600GT over the 2600XT if they are similarly priced and at the top of your budget range. For a bit more though, you can get much better cards, so if you can stretch your budget a bit, let us know.

N3TH

N3TH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Yea I can get the XFX 8600GTS 256MB DDR3 xXx edition 700/2.26 for a bit more than the the XT... but by the way im from New Zealand, not part of Australia lol!

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Sorry, the New Zealand flag looks very similar to the Australian one. :)

Anyways, while the 8600gts would be a step up, its not really worth it until you get to the NVIDIA 8800GS or the ATI HD3850.

Oh, and what will you be using the computer for? Because you might not need that much power.

N3TH

N3TH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Im not a really serious gamer, but would like to be able to play modern games without uber lag!

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Define modern games. There are a ridiculously large number of The Sims games which seem to come out every few days, but these don't require much graphical power. On the other hand, if you are looking to play games such as Crysis or Bioshock, you will need much more graphical power.

Also, what resolution do you play on and what settings are desirable to you (do you want maxed-out eye candy)?

N3TH

N3TH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Nah not maxed out. I do have a copy of Crysis, but wouldnt mind this being run at half pie with moderate detail and 1024x768 resolution

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
The 8600GT should handle 1024x768 and medium settings on pretty much every game.

N3TH

N3TH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Sweet i just bought the 8600GTS thanks for the advice!