Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Recovery

• Please log in to reply

mumbojunk

mumbojunk

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Yesterday I tried to deal with a malware that was bothering my IE.

Sadly, I just found this forum today...after I did a system recovery. I am back to square one, like the day I bought the computer. Does this mean the spyware or malware is gone? The computer seems to be fine now.

Norton, Ad-Aware and Windoes Defender didn't find the problem, thus making me resort to the recovery.

Thanks...

Advertisements

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Personally I do not like Norton, and Mcafee reason I do not is Norton I do not like it's annoying and famous "your infected pop-ups" and Mcafee it's horrible protection and annoyances when you try to uninstall it.

I cannot help you with Adware/Malware/Spyware removal if I do I'll need to request permission.

But what will probably happen is a mod will move this to the security section.

But I will send a Moderator a request for me to help in this topic, and we'll go from there depending on yes or no.

But the infections are still on the PC, you need to take the proper steps to disinfect and clear old restores points that are infected out and make new ones and set up proper security on your PC to prevent the infection(s) from coming back.

I hope this helps, and I'll post back soon if a mod doens't move this topic soon.

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
mumbojunk,

Did you use the Recovery build into Windows (start>accessories>system tools>system restore) or did you use media that came with your PC and reformatted your PC?

Thanks,
Cam

Edited by CamTheMan, 16 April 2008 - 03:36 PM.

mumbojunk

mumbojunk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I ended up doing a full system restore.

I had to make the disks to restore from the hard drive. Once it was up again, I installed ESET Smart Security and did a scan which found nothing.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
camtheman,

I just want to make it clear that you may not offer any advice with malware at all. Malware help is only allowed in the malware forum, and only by those staff members who have been trained. However, you may feel free to assist with any other issues. I'll monitor this thread, and if it appears there is anything malicious still present, I'll direct mumbojunk to the appropriate place.

mumbojunk, if ESET didn't find anything that's a very good sign. If your system files were overwritten, and you didn't copy any infected files back on to your PC, you're probably okay, but please feel free to continue with any questions you may have.

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

I ended up doing a full system restore.

I had to make the disks to restore from the hard drive. Once it was up again, I installed ESET Smart Security and did a scan which found nothing.

If you did a full system restore then that cleared all threats on your pc it's just like starting over.

camtheman,

I just want to make it clear that you may not offer any advice with malware at all. Malware help is only allowed in the malware forum, and only by those staff members who have been trained. However, you may feel free to assist with any other issues. I'll monitor this thread, and if it appears there is anything malicious still present, I'll direct mumbojunk to the appropriate place.

mumbojunk, if ESET didn't find anything that's a very good sign. If your system files were overwritten, and you didn't copy any infected files back on to your PC, you're probably okay, but please feel free to continue with any questions you may have.

Oh thank you I wasn't too sure about that.

Edited by CamTheMan, 16 April 2008 - 09:00 PM.

mumbojunk

mumbojunk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks to you both!

Sari, I saw you had mentioned ESET (actually NOD 32) in another thread and I decided to get the ESET program. Thank for that advice, so far it looks quite impressive. I had run Norton in the past and I don't think I really liked it.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
mumbojunk,

You made a good choice - NOD32 is indeed a vast improvement over Norton, and will also not bog down your system. I'm sorry you had to reformat, but I hope you've got everything running again now.

mumbojunk

mumbojunk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Luckily, i backed up all my videos and pictures of my 9 month old. But all of my cd's have to be ripped again. :)

Yup, everything seems to be fine. I was just unsure if the spyware could somehow stay inside the computer ever after the system restore. One must always be leery of identity theft and whatnot...

Edited by mumbojunk, 17 April 2008 - 08:44 AM.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
mumbojunk,

Reinfection can be a concern if backed up files were infected and copied back to your PC, but this clearly doesn't seem to be the case. It's great that you have the pictures of your 9 month old - it would be awful to lose those!