Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Slow PC

• Please log in to reply

joejobs

joejobs

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Hi,
I was cleared from the malware forum after removing a virus that had infected my system, but my PC is now running slow at start-up ( about 60 secs) and takes longer than usual to run programs.
Please Help.

Advertisements

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Joe,

glad you got your infection under control.

Lets do one at a time to help prevent freezes,etc..

Try this to help speed the system:

1. Run a Windows Disk Cleanup
Start>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Cleanup> check all (click more options tab at the top and at the bottom clear old restore points)

2.Let's run a defrag of your disk this will make your rive healthy and prevent future crashes.
Start>Accessories>Disk Dementfrager>click analyze>then click Defragment when it's done analyzing.

Removed potentially dangerous advice to use a registry cleaner

4.There's a couple ways to help minimize the start up programs on your PC:
-Going into MSConfig (start>run>type msconfig>go tot he start tab) that way is a little confusing because it doesn't give us enough info about the startup entry.
-Using CCleaner, again not very descriptive. But better then Mconfig
-Using another Utility I like that is not freeware.

The way I recommend you use is a program called Tune-up Utilities this is not freeware, but you do get a 30 day trial and you can buy it if you want, but once we uncheck what you do not want to start with this program you can uninstall it if you like.

Here's instructions for Tuneup Utilites:

Tune-up Utilites:
Download and install Tune-up Utilities>open it, when you first open it just click continue using trial>then on the main program screen click "Tune-up Startup Manager">Now click ok on the welcome screen that pop-ups telling what startup manager is>Now select the program that you want to disable and uncheck it. To see information about that entry click it, and look on the left and read under "Details".

I hope this helps.

If the above does not help, you may need to upgrade some hardware like Harddrive, or RAM.

Thanks for reading,
Cam

Edited by sari, 17 April 2008 - 07:39 AM.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Administrator
  • 20,959 posts
  • MVP
Joe,

I do not recommend removing programs from startup unless you know what they are and whether they're needed. While there are many programs that are not necessary to run at startup, other programs are critical. We would be happy to help you determine what might or might not be necessary.

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Joe,

I do not recommend removing programs from startup unless you know what they are and whether they're needed. While there are many programs that are not necessary to run at startup, other programs are critical. We would be happy to help you determine what might or might not be necessary.

Oh Sari you got to try Tune-up Utilities it actually tells you what the program is, and if it's okay to disable. It's a very useful and wonderful tool.

It includes other utilites but I find that the Startup Manager is by far the most useful.

Could you do me a favor and test it out so then I can get your review as well cause I do not know if its very bad or not I'd like to see what you think.

Thank you! (= cam

I want to add one more thing, Sari.

I may be wrong and please correct me if I am, but when you open CCleaner there's 2 main useful parts there's the Cleaner & the Registry Cleaner in my instructions above I did not mention about clicking into Registry and cleaning that part if I may have I do not remember, I thought I only talked about the first main part which is the cleaner, here is a screen shot so you can easily see without downloading or opening yours up.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Also, when you run a Registry Cleanup using CCleaner it will ask you if you want t backup the registry before running cleaner which probably everyone just clicks no...

Maybe I did mention clicking registry, I cannot remember but please correct me.

Edited by CamTheMan, 17 April 2008 - 08:08 PM.

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts

Oh Sara you got to try Tune-up Utilities it actually tells you what the program is, and if it's okay to disable. It's a very useful and wonderful tool.

It includes other utilites but I find that the Startup Manager is by far the most useful.

Could you do me a favor and test it out so then I can get your review as well cause I do not know if its very bad or not I'd like to see what you think.

Thank you! (= cam

First off if your going to quote someone get their name right,

Secondly its our policy not to recommend paid for programs, we have means of knowing whats running on the computer with out requiring members to spend money

Thirdly if your asking for sari to test something out cause you don't know if its good or bad then why in the world are you recommending ?

While you seem well intentioned I ask that you slow down some while we appreciate the help if your not providing useful help it makes our jobs even harder. Asking for staff to review your ways and means of doing things and using programs is someones post asking for help is very inconsiderate please refrain from doing this.
Thanks
Don

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Oh Sara you got to try Tune-up Utilities it actually tells you what the program is, and if it's okay to disable. It's a very useful and wonderful tool.

Thank you! (= cam

First off if your going to quote someone get their name right,

Secondly its our policy not to recommend paid for programs, we have means of knowing whats running on the computer with out requiring members to spend money

Thirdly if your asking for sari to test something out cause you don't know if its good or bad then why in the world are you recommending ?

While you seem well intentioned I ask that you slow down some while we appreciate the help if your not providing useful help it makes our jobs even harder. Asking for staff to review your ways and means of doing things and using programs is someones post asking for help is very inconsiderate please refrain from doing this.
Thanks
Don

I understand, when sorry for the name misspell. Well it seemed like we were arguing about the program so I was trying make piece and see if she could give me her thoughts but even though I ask someone for their review on it doesn't change my position on it. What I was trying to say was I wanted to get her to know the program but I didn't want to say it in a mean way like "Sari try it!" or anything like that. But I do try to be useful and I do not doubt my advice in the post was not useful. But sorry for making your job harder I'm only trying to help as much as possible, I mean what can we members do if we can't offer help, and we can't post in certain areas? I only post in topics I think I can help in, and I think it's very useful.

I have COMPLETE confidence in the program and I LOVE it, If I didn't have experience in it I wouldn't have it has one of my favorite, and I WOULD NOT be telling people to use for certain things like limiting the start up programs.

I won't ask the staff for review anything anymore,I will remove the Tune-up from all my posts and just use other methods of helping people make their startup faster. Sorry for the trouble. But I do want you to understand the reason I was saying for her to try it was not because I did not know if it was "good or bad" I was only trying to be nice, and create a better friendship with her.

-Cam

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts

Well it seemed like we were arguing about the program so I was trying make piece and see if she could give me her thoughts but even though I ask someone for their review on it doesn't change my position on it.

Really ? I fail to see where sari was "arguing " about any program in fact she makes no mention of any program but rather offers assistance with out the use of a program to this point. I have worked with sari for a very long time on this site and many others and value her opinion and that of the many other expert/staff members where it is our practice to not recommend paid for programs.

I have COMPLETE confidence in the program and I LOVE it, If I didn't have experience in it I wouldn't have it has one of my favorite, and I WOULD NOT be telling people to use for certain things like limiting the start up programs.

You have an opinion of a program and based on your expereince of how long ?

I won't ask the staff for review anything anymore

nothing wrong with asking an opinion but not in a post of someone seeking help,

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Well it seemed like we were arguing about the program so I was trying make piece and see if she could give me her thoughts but even though I ask someone for their review on it doesn't change my position on it.

Really ? I fail to see where sari was "arguing " about any program in fact she makes no mention of any program but rather offers assistance with out the use of a program to this point. I have worked with sari for a very long time on this site and many others and value her opinion and that of the many other expert/staff members where it is our practice to not recommend paid for programs.

You have an opinion of a program and based on your expereince of how long ?

I won't ask the staff for review anything anymore

nothing wrong with asking an opinion but not in a post of someone seeking help,

So many quotes lol

Don,

Sorry for all the problems I've used Tune-up for 3 years, I didn't mean "Arguing" like yelling I meant my response to

Joe,

I was trying to stand by my post, without creating a fight or argument and my way of doing that is to ask her for her opinion or review of Tuneup I was just asking her to try it. My intent was not to make anyone mad, or go against the rules.

But from all my pst mistakes in the last day, I've learned a lot from them and I plan to sit back and watch for while until I'm confident it's right. Me going back over my post about looking at Tune-up does seem a little far from mature and I apologize those were not the intent of them, and I chose my words poorly.