Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

connecting xbox 360 through laptop

• Please log in to reply

snipes040

snipes040

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
hi I was wondering if you would be willing to help me with my 360 live problems?? The problem is that I fail at the DNS server stage. I have enabled ICS for my wireless connection. Also when I enable ICS my internet cuts out and I am unable to surf the net. My setup is a router up stairs with my laptop connected wirelessly and then my 360 connected to my laptop with a RJ45 ethernet cable.

Do you have any suggestions ??

Advertisements

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Try this:

On the laptop your ICSing with:
(i'm guessing you have XP)

Go to Start>run>cmd>in the black screen type "ipconfig/all"

You'll see something like this:
Posted Image(your will not have blurs in them, i did that for privacy)

Go to your Network Settings in your Xbox 360 and manually enter your 2 DNS (not dhcp) Servers that are on your laptop.

Then save, and test your connection.

I hope this resolves it.

-Cam

Edited by CamTheMan, 16 April 2008 - 09:23 PM.

snipes040

snipes040

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
um I tried that but no dice. Um and also when I bring up my DNS server numbers it shows that there is only one DNS??? By this I mean DNS and then there is one number there. And I still cannot get it to work. Anymore ideas?

thanks

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

um I tried that but no dice. Um and also when I bring up my DNS server numbers it shows that there is only one DNS??? By this I mean DNS and then there is one number there. And I still cannot get it to work. Anymore ideas?

thanks

Only one IP in the Command Prompt? If so try putting the first and only DNS server into the 360, then in the secondary dns server just put 0.0.0.0

snipes040

snipes040

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
ok I will try that but in the meantime I also sometimes encounter a problem when I try ICS. The error that comes up when I check the allow sharing box in my wireless connection is: Internet connection cannot be enabled. A LAN connection is already configured with the IP address that is required with automatic IP addressing

Does you have any idea what that means?

Thanks for your help !!

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

ok I will try that but in the meantime I also sometimes encounter a problem when I try ICS. The error that comes up when I check the allow sharing box in my wireless connection is: Internet connection cannot be enabled. A LAN connection is already configured with the IP address that is required with automatic IP addressing

Does you have any idea what that means?

Thanks for your help !!

You need to change your Default Gateway address.

Go into your router admin panel, and change the default address most of them are 192.168.1.1/192.168.0.1 etc.. you can see yours by going to start>run>cmd>type ipconfig/all look for Default Gateway and enter that into your browser.

Now depending on who makes your router, it will be different.

Who makes your router? ex- linksys,netgear,etc..

snipes040

snipes040

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
um well I'm not entirely sure the make of the router due to the fact that I am in a basement apartment and the people who live upstairs have the router up there but I'll have to ask them tomorrow and I'll get back to you on that one. As for the default gateway I entered that into my browser and it asks for a password and username? My default gateway is 192.168.0.1

Sorry for me being so stupid and incompetent but I am really lost and have no idea what to do. (lol)

thanks

Edited by snipes040, 16 April 2008 - 10:13 PM.

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

um well I'm not entirely sure the make of the router due to the fact that I am in a basement apartment and the people who live upstairs have the router up there but I'll have to ask them tomorrow and I'll get back to you on that one. As for the default gateway I entered that into my browser and it asks for a password and username? My default gateway is 192.168.0.1

Sorry for me being so stupid and incompetent but I am really lost and have no idea what to do. (lol)

thanks

We may not be able to change it, the ymay limit you from accessing it. But just ask them who makes it, then we can go from there.

I'm just glad to help you =)

snipes040

snipes040

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
ok well I'll let you know tomorrow sometime about the make of the router then. till then thank you very much

John Hook

John Hook

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
snipes040,

While I'm sure that someone out there has managed to succesfully connected their XBOX 360 to to a laptop via ICS - allowing XBOX Live! connectivity in this manner - I've yet to find anyone having luck with this setup. I've recently spent several days offering advice to a user here with the identical support request. Ultimately, he ended up spending the $100 for the XBOX 360 WiFi adapter. Given potential compatibility with his wireless router, I'm not sure if even the $100 XBOX 360 wireless adapter is going to work for him.

Personaly, I would avoid using WiFi over gaming systems. The WiFi built into the Playstation 3 is slow and problematic. Nothing is going to give you a faster and more reliable connection than a directly wired CAT5 Ethernet connection between your broadband router/modem and your XBOX 360 or PlayStation 3. While running a CAT5 cable directly between your XBOX and your router downstairs will involve some drilling and fishing wires through holes - THIS is a FAR cleaner, faster and cheaper solution that the convoluded approach of bridging your XBOX 360 to your WiFi connected laptop using ICS, especially since you've already experienced problems with ICS in other situations.

Read though all of the similar XBOX 360 posts on this site and by searching for this topic on the Internet. While your proposed configuration should, in theory work - I've not been able to find anything but many other frustrated users trying to make this same configuration work - with little or no luck.

Regardless of the approach you decide to pursue, I would find out the make/model of your router, log onto their site and see if they offer any FAQs or specific advice about XBOX 360 connectivity. There's another good site out there that documents the router settings necessary for XBOX 360 connectivity:

http://portforward.c...ive360index.htm

I say all of this because I would hate to see you spend countless, frustrating hours trying to make a complicated configuration work that hasn't been very successfull with other XBOX 360 users out there.

Hope this helps.

- John

Advertisements

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

snipes040,

While I'm sure that someone out there has managed to succesfully connected their XBOX 360 to to a laptop via ICS - allowing XBOX Live! connectivity in this manner - I've yet to find anyone having luck with this setup. I've recently spent several days offering advice to a user here with the identical support request. Ultimately, he ended up spending the $100 for the XBOX 360 WiFi adapter. Given potential compatibility with his wireless router, I'm not sure if even the $100 XBOX 360 wireless adapter is going to work for him.

Personaly, I would avoid using WiFi over gaming systems. The WiFi built into the Playstation 3 is slow and problematic. Nothing is going to give you a faster and more reliable connection than a directly wired CAT5 Ethernet connection between your broadband router/modem and your XBOX 360 or PlayStation 3. While running a CAT5 cable directly between your XBOX and your router downstairs will involve some drilling and fishing wires through holes - THIS is a FAR cleaner, faster and cheaper solution that the convoluded approach of bridging your XBOX 360 to your WiFi connected laptop using ICS, especially since you've already experienced problems with ICS in other situations.

Read though all of the similar XBOX 360 posts on this site and by searching for this topic on the Internet. While your proposed configuration should, in theory work - I've not been able to find anything but many other frustrated users trying to make this same configuration work - with little or no luck.

Regardless of the approach you decide to pursue, I would find out the make/model of your router, log onto their site and see if they offer any FAQs or specific advice about XBOX 360 connectivity. There's another good site out there that documents the router settings necessary for XBOX 360 connectivity:

http://portforward.c...ive360index.htm

I say all of this because I would hate to see you spend countless, frustrating hours trying to make a complicated configuration work that hasn't been very successfull with other XBOX 360 users out there.

Hope this helps.

- John

Hi John,

I 100% agree with you but I'm glad to tell you I actually use ICS back in Halo 2 that was my setup it worked very well. Later one, to save space and wires I bought the first Xbox wireless adapter and that worked very well.

I but most of the time, I would always move my Modem and router up to the game room to have an amazing connection and have it all wired like you were saying.

I do think we can get Snipes working, although I think it's going to be a little togh him not owning the router he'll be using and that signal may be low causing unfavorable lag during the game.

But if both have Xboxlive add me (: "CamTheMan07" is the GT (without quotes) I usally get on Sat or Sun nights.

But anyway I'll await for your relies.

snipes040

snipes040

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
um so the router that I am using is a D-Link DI 524.. hope this helps....

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

um so the router that I am using is a D-Link DI 524.. hope this helps....

That helps alot.

Alright now lets try this.

You remember your Default Gateway address? Well enter that into your browser once again and whne it prompts you to login enter username-admin and password-admin

If you do not remember how to get your Default Gateway Address refer to the posts above.

IF THE ABOVE USER/PASS DOESN'T WORK:

Try using:
Username-"admin"
Password- do not enter anything; leave blank

Click login, or ok and see if it lets you login into the admin panel.

If nether of these logins work, the owner of the router or administrator has changed the login to something other then the default login, if this is thecase you'll need to manull yhook your PC into the router wired, or request the login credentials from the network admin, or simply hold the reset button down on the back of the router (=

I hope this works.

-Cam

Edited by CamTheMan, 17 April 2008 - 09:30 PM.

snipes040

snipes040

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
ok so none of those worked. lol so I'm thinking of just giving in and buying the EXPENSIVE wireless adapter. But before I do you think I will be able to connect to the internet if I buy the wireless adapter from microsoft?

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

ok so none of those worked. lol so I'm thinking of just giving in and buying the EXPENSIVE wireless adapter. But before I do you think I will be able to connect to the internet if I buy the wireless adapter from microsoft?

If you buy the adapter the setup will be like this:

Xbox360~wired~>Adapter~wireless~>Router

Only thing I can think of that may prevent you accessing the internet from the adapter:

The wireless router may be pass protected using WEP or WPA or some other form if this is the case your adapter will let you enter those login details to that wireless to gain connection.

But going the Adapter way will make it alot easier you just gook it in, and go into your 360 network panel and select the Wireless Network you want to connect to.

I hope this works out for you, and if you want to still try and go the way without the adapter we can let me know.

Edited by CamTheMan, 17 April 2008 - 10:08 PM.