Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop Icons in Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

pchefgirl

pchefgirl

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi, am new to this. Woke up this morning to find my computer royally screwed up by spyware.
Have solved the wallpaper problem using REGEDIT but now I have color underneath the text of all my icons. I have done all the basic traditional remedies and nothing has worked (right click on properties, etc etc etc). I have searched all over the internet and found many people with the same problem who also are frustrated with traditional "fixes"not working. Am I alone? Please help.

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
I Suggest you take your log to the malware doctors found in this forum.
Please make sure that you read this before posting anything in the malware forum.

If you're still having problems after the malware doctors declare your log clean feel free to post back here and we'll help you to the best of our knowledge! :)

Regards,
Olrik

pchefgirl

pchefgirl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi, went to the information on Malware removal and am pretty confused as to where to start. How do I know what I am actually infected with? I live in the us. Have McAffee installed, ran scans, supposedly infections have been removed. I am reading about viruses still hidden. Tried the Vundofix.exe but I really am unsure what it is I am looking for.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
pchefgirl,

I would skip the initial scans if you're uncomfortable running them. Follow the instructions for downloading and running hijackthis (I believe it's step 5), then start a new topic in the Malware Forum and post your log there. It would be best to determine if all your spyware is gone before we address the icon issue.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You posted in the malware forum but did not post a HijackThis log. Please add that to your post by editing it, don't add a reply.