Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant open folders with pics and videos

• Please log in to reply

alraina

alraina

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
when I open up folders with videos and pictures it says that its being shut down to protect me from viruses. Also my computer usually ends up freezeing. This is extremely annoying. Before I had a malware problem when this happened and when i got rid of it i was fine. Now its starting up again but Rorschach112 told me that my logs where clean and sent me here. Also my computer will not let me save pic and video files. I have a huge project and i need to use the pics on my computer but i cant until this is fixed. please help me!! I have also been getting constant dr waston errors like crazy .Thank you

Edited by alraina, 17 April 2008 - 12:28 AM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
If you have (or can borrow) a Microsoft XP install CD (not a manufacturer's recovery CD) you can run the "System File Checker" which will restore any missing or corrupted system files: Start-->Run. Type SFC and click 'OK' with the CD already in the CD drive. If you borrow a CD make sure it's the same version of XP as your installed version (and that means it has to include the same service pack as yours).

Edited by pip22, 17 April 2008 - 01:29 AM.

alraina

alraina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
All I have axcess to is the manufactuer recovery disk. I would have to buy XP or find a booteg which probably isnt the best idea. Any other ideas? Oh by anychance could a program like an antivirus or fire wall be the cause?

EDIT: I have discovered that the problem is DEP (data execution program) how do i rid my self of this evil program?

Edited by alraina, 17 April 2008 - 02:14 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Please read the article in this link. It will tell you what DEP is and how to deal with the error messages.

alraina

alraina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Okay so I followed the directions and told it to not shut down IE (it was the only one on the list too..strange) but now I get a message saying that its had an error and needs to shut down...UGH computers are frustrating sometimes. All of this started occuring after installing a windows service pack. Is there anyway to uninstall it?

EDIT: I can now not open up any folders with out my computer freaking out and shuting down what ever i used to try to open the folders i.e. MSN messanger when i go to change pic, when trying to upload photos. This is getting increasingly annoying. Does anybody know how to fix this? Help please!

Edited by alraina, 20 April 2008 - 11:49 PM.

alraina

alraina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Help anyone? I can't even save things now!! help please!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What service pack have you installed. Is it sp-2? if yes then I am not surprised because sp-2 installation on a loaded, long running computer can end up with complete failure. If it was sp-3, which is supposed to be released by Microsoft soon, then that's another mistake. All I can suggest is that you try to uninstall the service packs from Add/remove programs. If that doesn't work backup your data and reformat the computer using your recovery CD. If you do that, install windows updates immediately after the restore was made. Install only your antivirus and nothing else until all updates are loaded and installed (there are sp-2 plus over 90 extra updates).

alraina

alraina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Yeah im pretty sure it was SP-2. So if I end up needing to completly reformat, Can I back up my itunes library? im not sure if it will let me or not..

alraina

alraina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
okay I cant find it in the add/remove there is something that I think might be it but im not sure MXSML 4.0 SP2 is that it?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The removable item is called Windows XP Service Pack 2 and it's a very large item. It's not the one that you wrote down. Regarding backup of iTunes, I never backed it up but I am sure there is a way to do it. See if there is an export/import option anywhere and export the folder to a backup device. If not this way then there must be another one.

alraina

alraina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Well I found out how to back up itunes lol Should have looked harder in the file drop down. And the Windows XP service pack 2 isnt on the list... I know I installed it, but its not there...

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I assume you checked the box at the top to display the updates?

alraina

alraina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Yupp, it showed the service pack 1 at first but I checked again and now its not there...

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Save yourself time and frustration and reformat your computer. It looks as if parts of windows are so corrupted by now that other problems will soon crop up. Now that you backed up your data use the recovery disk that you have and start afresh.