Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WD Passport HD Causing Computer/Laptop to Restart. Please Help

• Please log in to reply

eckroo

eckroo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've been using the WD Passport 160GB with my Dell Laptop for almost a year and everthing was fine until this morning when I tried to turn on my laptop and noticed that it would not boot up properly. It would go up to the black Windows XP loading screen and then restart itself. Everything was fine after I disconnected the HD. When I plugged it back, it would cause my laptop to restart.

Afterwards I tested it out with my two other desktops. Windows would recognize the HD and immediately restart itself. With the desktops, Windows would actually load but right after loading, the computer would restart.

I don't know what causing this problem. I did not move or drop my HD recently

Edited by eckroo, 17 April 2008 - 12:34 AM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go!

On the WD support website this is all I could find in their knowledgebase regarding your problem:

http://wdc.custhelp....amp;p_topview=1

however, since the same problem occurs on two other computers it's unlikely to be an incorrect setting in the BIOS (especially since it used to work okay & you haven't changed any BIOS settings) so it's possible the drive has failed. This is usually the case when a drive refuses to work or causes a crash on 3 separate machines.

Edited by pip22, 17 April 2008 - 02:08 AM.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
I forgot to mention there's just an outside chance that the USB cable has developed a fault and not the drive itself. It's worth trying a new or different cable which you know to be okay (perhaps one from another USB device such as a scanner or printer). It's a long shot but worth trying if only to eliminate that as the cause.