Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How Do I Get Rid Of Old Exceptions In Windows Xp's Firewall?

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Hi I've installed quite a few programs along the years that had to be excepted by windows xp's firewall in order to work. & well I recently uninstalled some programs in the past few months that I no longer use. So the point is I've noticed that there are a lot of items which I no longer use still left in the exceptions list for windows xp's firewall [as seen below]. I thought these exceptions would be automatically cleared when programs are uninstalled. So my question is how do I get any unneeded exceptions off of his list safely?

I assume I would just have to click on an item in the list and press delete??? I'd just like to confirm so I don't ruin my firewall or programs. By the way what would happen if I take off any of the wrong items by accident since I don't know what some belong to?

Posted Image

- Thank You

Advertisements

Dellica

Dellica

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

I assume I would just have to click on an item in the list and press delete??? I'd just like to confirm so I don't ruin my firewall or programs. By the way what would happen if I take off any of the wrong items by accident since I don't know what some belong to?

You asume correctly, unchecking or clicking delete should do the trick. No risc of damaging your computer, only perhaps deleting something that needs eception afterall :)

Make sure it's 100% safe to delete it out of the list of exceptions and you'll be A OK .

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Thank you very much! I just deleted some old stuff. Wow I didn't even realize all the gunk that was there.

Dellica

Dellica

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Anytime, glad we could help!