Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How Do I Get Rid Of An Old Printer Driver Installed By Windows Xp?

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Ok well I had a printer connected to my machine a couple of years back. When I attached it to my pc for the first time windows xp automatically installed it. Anyways that very same printer died on me recently and is in the garbage. I noticed that windows xp still lists it if I go to "all programs>control panel>printers and other hardware>printers and faxes". You can see it still listed as a printer in the photo below. I don't know why it's still there... But regardless can anyone tell me how to safely remove it? I assume the driver which is still installed from it's first automatic win xp installation or something.

Posted Image

- Thank You

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Open Printer and Faxes, mark the printer that you want to remove and in the side menu choose Delete Printer. After that go to Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel and if there is anything related to this printer showing in the list of programs, remove it.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Thank you very much "The Skeptic". I did just that... Oh by the way Windows Xp did notify me that "SNAG IT" will be my default printer from now on. Snag It is actually a pc screen capture program and I assume it installs some sort of printer plug in or something since that's what's left there in my "Printers & Faxes" list. I don't know what that would be for since it's not the actual "Snag It" program... But just to confirm, what would I have to do to make sure the next real physical printer I buy is set as my default printer??? Or would it just be wiser to uninstall "Snag It" and reinstall it now so it can install itself knowing there is no printer on my machine?

- Thank You

Edited by superstar, 17 April 2008 - 04:41 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You can leave Snag It in place. After you install the new printer go to Faxes and Printers, right-click the icon of the new printer and choose to make it your default printer. A check sign will show up, marking the new printer as default.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Thank you very much for your time and knowledge. I greatly appreciate your assistance... I'll keep everything you said in mind!

Thanks

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You are welcome.