Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Machine Running Slow

• Please log in to reply

baby m

baby m

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
When I open up a program it is taking longer than usual, especially if i i open up IE. Even if i'm opening up a folder the machine may stall & stutter. I have noticed this all of a sudden, not when i loaded a program or device on my machine. I did have the serial99 virus on my machine a few months back but that got sorted by the help of you guys here.

I have run spydoctor & McAfee on my machine to see if i have any virus's on the machine but it shows nothing. I have defragmented & nothing...

I NEED HELP PLEASE.

Advertisements

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
download this to your desktop and unzip it-

http://www.hostmonit...d/procmeter.zip

no install required
and it's an easy way to see what is happening
very basic but effective

Edited by cmpm, 17 April 2008 - 09:14 AM.

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Hi Baby m,

Let's try this, this has been prewritten by me and I'm just pasting in from another post of mine. Lets do one at a time to help prevent freezes,etc..

Try this to help speed the system:

1. Run a Windows Disk Cleanup
Start>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Cleanup> check all (click more options tab at the top and at the bottom clear old restore points)

You said you already did this, but you can do it again if you like.
2.Let's run a defrag of your disk this will make your rive healthy and prevent future crashes.
Start>Accessories>Disk Dementfrager>click analyze>then click Defragment when it's done analyzing.

3. Removed potentially dangerous advice regarding using CCleaner

4.There's a couple ways to help minimize the start up programs on your PC:
-Going into MSConfig (start>run>type msconfig>go tot he start tab) that way is a little confusing because it doesn't give us enough info about the startup entry.
-Using CCleaner, again not very descriptive. But better then Mconfig
-Using another Utility I like that is not freeware.

The way I recommend you use is a program called Tune-up Utilities this is not freeware, but you do get a 30 day trial and you can buy it if you want, but once we uncheck what you do not want to start with this program you can uninstall it if you like.

Here's instructions for Tuneup Utilities:

Tune-up Utilities:
Download and install Tune-up Utilities>open it, when you first open it just click continue using trial>then on the main program screen click "Tune-up Startup Manager">Now click ok on the welcome screen that pop-ups telling what startup manager is>Now select the program that you want to disable and uncheck it. To see information about that entry click it, and look on the left and read under "Details".

I hope this helps.

If the above does not help, you may need to upgrade some hardware like Harddrive, or RAM.

Edited by sari, 17 April 2008 - 10:49 AM.

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
The computer is cleaned CamTheMan, what is needed to know is not only what is starting but what is slowing the computer down.

Tuneup will not show everything. And if used incorrectly it will add more processes that start with windows, slowing the computer down even more.

Tuneup will show only basically what is starting as a program. It will not show the processes and more that affect a computer's performance.

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
baby m, use this cleaner if you need to

http://www.atribune..../click.php?id=1

It's called ATF-Cleaner.
Download like the other program I mentioned.
No unzipping required
No install required either, it is the program.
Double click the icon.
Check 'select all'.
Then 'empty selected'.

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

The computer is cleaned CamTheMan, what is needed to know is not only what is starting but what is slowing the computer down.

Tuneup will not show everything. And if used incorrectly it will add more processes that start with windows, slowing the computer down even more.

Tuneup will show only basically what is starting as a program. It will not show the processes and more that affect a computer's performance.

Sorry for the confusion, but I was thinking by cleaning the PC is will result the PC in a faster mode? I think what is slowing it would be pretty self explanatory (what the programs I suggest doing, fixes the cause of the slowness) tuneup will do exactly what is needed for the startup and you cannot really "incorrectly" use it and for the purpose I mentioned was only to limit the programs starting up only way you can go wrong there is by disabling your security fro starting up,etc...

The things I mentioned will help teh system become more stable, and accurate when opening programs and resulting in a better response time. The utility you mentioned is a great one I love it but it's basic and does the same thing that some of the utilities I posted do but others clean better then others.

Baby M,

I do also advice you uninstall Mcafee.

But limiting the programs that startup on your PC will result in a FASTER startup.
Cleaning temp internet files,defraging your system, and runing disk cleanup will free up space resulting in a happier PC.

I am only trying to help you, this is NOT a competition.

Edited by CamTheMan, 17 April 2008 - 07:58 PM.

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
You are saying to uninstall this person's Antivirus?
That would be a mistake.
Without complete instructions on what to do about virus' and choosing a antivirus service.
There is nothing wrong with McAfee.

A wider range of understanding different programs and also things that the computer is doing that will not show up in tuneup.

It takes more then one program to help a computer.
What I posted is just a start.
One has to start somewhere and this is a very good place to start.
With the program I posted in the first post.
Untill you hijacked this thread making it basically unusable for some people.
Mainly the person who started the topic.

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

You are saying to uninstall this person's Antivirus?
That would be a mistake.
Without complete instructions on what to do about virus' and choosing a antivirus service.
There is nothing wrong with McAfee.

A wider range of understanding different programs and also things that the computer is doing that will not show up in tuneup.

It takes more then one program to help a computer.
What I posted is just a start.
One has to start somewhere and this is a very good place to start.
With the program I posted in the first post.
Untill you hijacked this thread making it basically unusable for some people.
Mainly the person who started the topic.

Again, I'm only trying to help. I suggest uninstalling Mcafee from the people I've helped it causes alot of problems it offers poor protection. But forgive me I didn't mean to take this topic from you I only wanted to include things you didn't include in your first post.. But like you were saying there's many steps I was just rushing sorry.

But I just do not like Mcafee at all, and same goes for Norton, Norton bogs the system down and annoys and confuses the user. But I'll let you suggest a AV and I didn't mean it like "Uninstall your Anti-Virus protection, and do not install anything other protection".

-Cam

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
We can only suggest things to do Cam.
And make what we post palatable and inviting for the person with the question or problem.

One has to be willing to trust the person offering help.
This would need care and taking things slowly.
Thinking through what you are going to post.
Only offering part of a step is trouble to add to whatever is the need.

GeeksToGo is about helping people and the trust that this site has built over the years is phenomenal.

And I'm sure your intent is not to bring this kind of confidence down.
I know you want to help.

When helping others help, try to see where they are trying to take the person and learn from there.
You are certainly welcome to add input.
But to draw the person in a different direction then the original helper is taking them, is confusing for them as you know.
Unless you know exactly what the problem is, then it has to be taken a step at a time to eliminate or illuminate problems.

peace

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

We can only suggest things to do Cam.
And make what we post palatable and inviting for the person with the question or problem.

One has to be willing to trust the person offering help.
This would need care and taking things slowly.
Thinking through what you are going to post.
Only offering part of a step is trouble to add to whatever is the need.

GeeksToGo is about helping people and the trust that this site has built over the years is phenomenal.

And I'm sure your intent is not to bring this kind of confidence down.
I know you want to help.

When helping others help, try to see where they are trying to take the person and learn from there.
You are certainly welcome to add input.
But to draw the person in a different direction then the original helper is taking them, is confusing for them as you know.
Unless you know exactly what the problem is, then it has to be taken a step at a time to eliminate or illuminate problems.

peace

I understand thanks. But I do think I wasn't misleading in my posts the first one was to help speed the system, then as an addition to the first uninstall Mcafee. But I do agree with you on hijacking I will NOT do this anymore, and I'm really sorry for Baby for getting off topic in his/her topic and I'm really starting to feel embarrassed so I'm just going to stop posting for a while lol

Thanks for the talk cmpm.

Advertisements

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Don't let it bother you.
We all just are people helping people.

Giving is the greatest gift.
Don't stop.

texas666

texas666

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
What happened to baby m?

baby m

baby m

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Baby M Is here but is slighty confused with the threads contradicting each other.

Unistalling an antivirus is a bit scary without suggesting a replacement so I think I will go with CMPM.

baby m

baby m

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

download this to your desktop and unzip it-

http://www.hostmonit...d/procmeter.zip

no install required
and it's an easy way to see what is happening
very basic but effective

Once I've done this what should I do with the info?

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
On the graph you will see what is using the most memory and the other things you can choose.

You can click on the bar of the high ones and it will give you info on what they are. Write them down and post it here.

Attached Thumbnails

• graph.png
  • graph1.png