Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"ATI HD Audio rear output"... PROBLEM

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

EHC

EHC

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I own a Dell Precision T5400 PC running windows XP Pro, I usually have a 2 monitor setup but recently have required 3 so I decided to get a second graphics card and use the output.

The card purchased and installed is a SAPPHIRE HD3650 512M DDR2 PCI-E DUAL DVI-I/TVO graphics card running an additional display, the setup works perfectly well visually anyway..
I have noticed that there is no audio coming from the 3.5mm jacks at the front of the machine.. I have gone in to the audio options to see what is going on and it would seem that my output options are ONLY "ATI HD Audio rear output" for playback and nothing else.

I have tried disabling this in the device manager and after a restart when I try to play audio it says that I do not have any audio devices so this is not an option..

I have seen quite a few threads which are similar to this and seem to be related to the SAPPHIRE card but offer no sure solution...

Any help would be appiciated however I did notice that there were many pointless posts by people who were clearly guessing and making wild claims like: 'the audio connectors must be faulty' or 'the sound card is broken'.

They either didn't read the original post before replying or are complete morons! Hopefully this part of my post will discourage these people from posting and if not, I am happy for anyone to 'Quote' this part when posting a sensible reply.

Please help, I need to listen to my online answerphone messages.. and some music of course.

Edited by EHC, 19 April 2008 - 05:47 AM.

Advertisements

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
I don't understand what your graphics card would have to do with sound???? Lol. :) Anyways the best thing you should do is use your onboard sound which comes from your motherboard. To do this you'd have to open up your sound manager [whichever one you may be using but preferably xp's]. & than just choose your integrated sound as the main output source of playback. The card you bought [if it is also some sort of audio card - which would be new technology to me] may not be working because it probably has some sort of driver issue that is conflicting with your operating system. This is a very common problem when purchasing new pci cards that offer sound. You can also try downloading the newest driver for the card which may resolve the issue with your sound.

If your talking about front sound panels on your pc tower not working than that's another story.

EHC

EHC

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I thought I had explained exactly the situation on my post... There is no other option for audio device and I have stated that the issue is with no audio from the front jacks... The HDMI output supplies audio as well as video!!!!LOL...!!! Are you blind and stupid?
Superstar you are clearly one of the morons that I refer to in my original post, I stand to be corrected by another.

Edited by EHC, 10 May 2008 - 05:50 AM.

jester620

jester620

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
EHC,

Researching your problem has introduced me to HDMI output audio. By looking into the product page for your Sapphire card, we need to double-check the installation process for your card, specifically the HD Audio Controller built into the unit.

Look on the product page I linked and you will see at the bottom of the main bullet points "(Important Information for Windows XP & Windows Vista users)." This will bring you to a pdf that will hopefully help isolate your problem for you.

Are you blind and stupid? Superstar you are clearly one of the morons that I refer to in my original post, I stand to be corrected by another.

As a side note, when posting on this board you may want to refrain from post in a hateful/defamatory manner as this type of post is against the TOU for the forum.

EHC

EHC

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Jester620,

Many thanks,

Since I replied to this post I have been able to resolve my issue...

It would seem that the Sapphire card drivers disable the onboard audio drivers.

As a solution I disabled the audio part of the Sapphire card in the device manager...

Restarted the machine...

no audio option at all was present (no surprise)

I went in to the bios setup for the Dell and set the onboard audio from 'auto' to 'on' (what a find)

After restarting I disabled the audio element of the Sapphire card then went for another restart..

Working nicely (but I can't use the audio part of the HDMI which I am not concerned about).

It would seem that the issue was with the Sapphire card overiding the onboard audio as it was set to 'Auto' in the bios....

I hope this thread helps others with the same problem, I will find the other threads and post the solution.

The side note.

I understand what you are saying, I try to accept all types but I find it very difficult.. Perhaps I should seek some kind of counselling, are there any courses that you know of specifically designed for people to allow then to tolerate complete morons?

Save the Dophins!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you came here looking for help....free help at that...with a problem that you're having on your computer which NONE OF US CAN SEE or touch or troubleshoot in any way OTHER than asking you to "try stepA. any change? try stepB"

if you think we're all morons then find another place to get your help

also you need to keep in mind that everyone here is a volunteer....we do this on our own time because we like helping and sometimes we know the answer....sometimes we don't....

i suggest you clean up your attitude or find a new group of people to abuse

EHC

EHC

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Dsenette,

Please accept my apologies, I have clearly stumbled across the humour deficiency forum which as you explain I clearly don't belong.

I now see that this is a US based site as sarcasm and irony seem to go completely unnoticed, this may also offer explanation as to why a reply was posted in complete disregard of the facts detailed in my original post.

You must agree that my influence and experience would be very beneficial to some special members of this forum, this opportunity for self improvement should not be denied of them.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
No one can infer tone from text. Text is a faceless form of communication. If you are seeking a place to call home where the staff and membership can read your mind via your DSL line, you are indeed in the wrong place.

Joe Hobart's - Survival Guide to technical forums. Read it, learn it, live it, love it. There is no better guide to posting on a technical forum than this one. If it were possible, I would make it a mandatory read before registering here, its that good. Let me show you why.

You must agree that my influence and experience would be very beneficial to some special members of this forum, this opportunity for self improvement should not be denied of them.

Here is what Joe says

In the same vein, I do not know you by anything other than what you say. A common newbie blunder is to embellish their accomplishments, skill level, or station in life in a well-intentioned, but poorly calculated ruse to fast-track respect from the locals. Please understand, your complete and utter lack of subject knowledge is not embarrassing. The locals are always thrilled to see new blood, a passionate but ignorant newbie is always welcome. Most locals hang around simply for the joy of helping others with our hard earned experience. Feel no shame, and post your question. We will help you without condescension, and will try very hard to make you feel welcome in our community. Failure to heed this warning will result in you being mocked and shamed, just for the sport of it. Your claimed expert status will quickly become revealed to the locals when you ask a question that we all learned in 'Basic Skills 101'. Frequently this is an unrecoverable error in most communities, your credibility is shot, you are an idiot; go away or i shall taunt you a second time. Please delete your account, go get a hotmail address and register under a new name, and never look back.

You have 4 posts here, you have offered no assistance to anyone. Yet you claim that our community should not be denied your plethora of experience.

Take some time and read the sage wisdom provided by Mr Hobart. It will help you in the future, regardless of where you end up.

I recommend that your next post here is significantly more civil towards any member of my staff, or anyone else here simply offering to help a complete stranger over the internet.

ScHwErV :)

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
It's alright Dsenette/ScHwErV... Let him go on as he is and he will definitely find himself banned from this site.

@ ECH,

You need to calm down there buddy. You seem to be all attitude and zero competence. We aren't paid to take grief from "know it alls" here. No we aren't paid at all, but are willing to help. You sound like some self professed Bill Gates. Do you treat EMS workers with the same courtesy? I now don't care very much for your existence on these forums. You should take ScHwErV's advice and read everything he quoted. I rather converse with someone who has a higher degree of etiquette. You should come here to have good civilized conversations with other forum members not to talk it out like we're in Texas during the prohibition era. Your arrogance is not welcome here. On a side note I'd like to apologize for this gentleman's behavior to others who are reading this thread for the first time. You should know that this is a family friendly site. What kind of manners does that teach newcomers who are here to learn? Especially the youth of today who are increasingly more interested in the computer industry. This type of teenage drama is so not my style. Who cares about your infinite knowledge when your posts above speak for your level of maturity. By the way is this a constant form of hatred you spew on a daily basis? Try some form of vocal/mental deodorant you "E-Bully". People like you are what's wrong with the world today. We must help each other and be positive, not try and get the most out of one another for personal gain. From what I understand "forums" are meant to be grounds where one can be part of the "solution" not the "problem". I think that sums up your backwards manner of thinking. I wouldn't be surprised if you get banned from here within the next few days. Possibly even by the time you hit the "reply" button on your next post.

P.s.
I can mail you some Prozac if you give me your home address.

Edited by superstar, 14 May 2008 - 12:31 AM.

EHC

EHC

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Dear Superstar,

Firstly I would like to make it very clear that I have no aggression towards any members of this forum, I was simply pointing out that your reply to my post was completely unnecessary as it seemed that you hadn't read any part of it except the title.

I am 32 years of age and managing director of an electronics design and manufacturing firm in the UK, I was quite annoyed by your post because it seemed like you had not read any part of it.

I am a member of many other forums where people just post replies to increase there rakings within the forum, this looked very much like a case of this.

I spend a large portion of my time(which I consider to be valuable) reading email responses on threads where people are either guessing at an answer or just posting for the sake of posting, as your reply contained questions which were answered in the original post I would find it almost impossible see that you have made any effort.

Hopefully you are not too offended by what has been said..

I do many activities for charity in my own time and I don't put in any less effort because of it. I guess I expect this of others as the people I choose to spend time with have the same outlook on life as I.

Hopefully for most who have read this thread it would seem clear that I am not the type of person who goes on to forums with the intent of engaging in argumentative conversation as this is truly not the case.

Advertisements

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
EHC your completely missing the point here. I shed some light to your question and let you know that it may have been an issue regarding your Sapphire Card. Which you in turn found to be true. So I don't know where your getting at that I was of no help when you came to the same conclusion. I give help via posts, and so do others who post afterwards. So it's not as if I'd have been the only help you would have received. I also mentioned to try your integrated on board sound hoping that the fact you only seen the ATI sound there in the device manager was because of some sort of problem that would have solved itself during a reboot. & in the end I mentioned that if it was totally disabling your front panel sound I just wouldn't know why because it should be working. Of course people told you elsewhere that the darn thing may have been broken or to check the connections inside your tower. That would be one of the first things to do... But I told you the Sapphire card had to be the culprit in the first place which you dealt with in the end. So I don't know what your bugging out about.

I am a member of many other forums where people just post replies to increase there rakings within the forum, this looked very much like a case of this.

No one gets any forum rep points like other sites or financial gain here. Well some do accept donations but I personally don't I just like to help when I can.

I spend a large portion of my time(which I consider to be valuable) reading email responses on threads where people are either guessing at an answer or just posting for the sake of posting, as your reply contained questions which were answered in the original post I would find it almost impossible see that you have made any effort.

You must be misreading replies and digesting them the wrong way... This is fairly common with some people who converse on the internet. People like you may just read something and think it means something else.

Edited by superstar, 14 May 2008 - 01:29 AM.

EHC

EHC

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Superstar,

I think we should leave this topic of conversation having both perhaps gained something from this experience?

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
I gained further knowledge about the rare yet aggressive people who start threads and attack others like me who try to help. You didn't gain a thing... All you did was lose "respect"... :)

Edited by superstar, 14 May 2008 - 01:38 AM.

EHC

EHC

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I do not require to continue this thread with further retribution, do you not feel that you would be a little hypocritical?

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
As I see nothing else will be gained from this conversation, I'm closing this thread.