Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Best networking browse-history program for a small school?

• Please log in to reply

lem.rar

lem.rar

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
I'm just wondering what the best solution for monitoring internet browsing history would be for a small school with 1 server.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
for free you could use a squid proxy server...it's free, it's not that easy to set up if you've never done it...but it's free...there are even pre-configured virtual appliances (for VMWare or VMWare server) that you can download for free and run in a VM

you could also get a barracuda networks WebFilter appliance...it's a hardware based webfilter that can track usage (to a point) as well as do content filtering (to help automatically block things you don't want) it can even do application blocking (to block things like chat programs and P2P software)...i've got the model 310 here at work and i love the thing...they've got a 210 model that's a bit cheaper but with a few less features (and built for smaller usage)....it's virtually plug and play

lem.rar

lem.rar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

for free you could use a squid proxy server...it's free, it's not that easy to set up if you've never done it...but it's free...there are even pre-configured virtual appliances (for VMWare or VMWare server) that you can download for free and run in a VM

you could also get a barracuda networks WebFilter appliance...it's a hardware based webfilter that can track usage (to a point) as well as do content filtering (to help automatically block things you don't want) it can even do application blocking (to block things like chat programs and P2P software)...i've got the model 310 here at work and i love the thing...they've got a 210 model that's a bit cheaper but with a few less features (and built for smaller usage)....it's virtually plug and play

I'll the squid proxy server, thanks for your work.

hitechgreg

hitechgreg

• Pip
  • 2 posts
You could try Endian. http://www.endian.com/ You can download it for free and use it. But the free version comes with no support and updates. It's open source and most of the content filtering engines out there are using the same thing that endian is.