Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

my desktop as a server?

• Please log in to reply

CabezaEnFuego

CabezaEnFuego

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
I'm looking to connect my notebook and my desktop computers over my wireless network so that I can store files on my desktop (much larger HD) and then access them from my notebook. I would also like for this to be limited between these two computers. This is only a home network so I'm not overly concerned about the security but I would still like the control of only having these two connected at this time. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
Give This tutorial by SpaceCowboy706 a read, it's got just about everything you'd need to know..

another option would be to buy a NAS (Network Attached Storage) system...which is basically a hard drive with a network card in it.....with most modern NAS systems you can set up file permissions etc.. so only certain people can get to the files in certain locations and some of them even come with print servers so you can hook a printer to the drive and print from any computer on your network....in most cases all you have to do is plug the contraption into a free port on your router and it starts working as soon as it's powered on...this way you don't have to mess around with windows workgroup networking (which in my opinion is more trouble than it's worth)

CabezaEnFuego

CabezaEnFuego

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Great tutorial, thanks for the help

Edited by CabezaEnFuego, 18 April 2008 - 01:13 AM.

CabezaEnFuego

CabezaEnFuego

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Ok, I got it to work once, i was able to successfully transfer files both ways. However, now my notebook will often not show my desktop in the network listing, or if it does, when I try to access the desktop it says, "Windows cannot access \\[name]." So it's showing the desktop is connected to the network, sometimes, but won't allow me to access it. Then my desktop doesn't show anything either.