Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP NETWORK NIGHTMARE

• Please log in to reply

msc

msc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Right, so right now you have this, sorry for the crude drawing:

Modem (Assuming that this modem has some routing features)
  |
  v
Switch
  | -> Computer A (Wired)->Computer B (Wired)->Printer A
  v
RouterB (Wireless Router)
  | ->Computer C (Wireless) -> Computer D (Wireless)

Because Computer's C & D are on their own router (RouterB) they can not see Computer A & B because they are on separate logical networks.
By switching Router B to become an Access Point, it will in turn make these two networks into one.
Modem (Assuming that this modem has some routing features)
  |
  v
Switch - RouterB (Wireless Router)---------------------------------v
  | -> Computer A (Wired)->Computer B (Wired)->Printer A	 |>Computer C (Wireless) -> Computer D (Wireless)
Hope that helps some.

It helps a little I guess my biggest question is if once I turn the router to an access point, I would connect the cable from the swith to the wireless router LAN port correct?

Advertisements

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
You would take a special cable (crossover ethernet cable) from one of the lan ports on the wireless router and hook it into the switch's lan port.

msc

msc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
ok i will pick up a crossover and try it after I get off work tonight and let you know what I find out... this is getting to be a bigger pain in the butt then I thought it would be. Maybe I should just knock out the switch and make it easier....

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
1st step is to check that you are only using 1 device as dhcp. If your modem is set to be dhcp server then make sure you have turned off dhcp on the router.
on one desktop go to command prompt type ipconfig /all enter
note space between ipconfig and /
do the same on wireless laptop.
what do you get

PostMark

PostMark

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Exactly, since routers actually separate broadcast domains, even if they seem to be in the same domain they are actual two different networks.

msc

msc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
OK so it took awhile but here is the latest. I was able to get the desktops and wireless laptops all networked by running a ethernet cable from the switch to the router and a cable from the modem to the router. Now all computers see each other and the internet. Here is the problem though, when I do that I no longer can see the standalone printer, before I got all the computers networked I was able to see and print to the printer with the desktops only. Not real sure why I can no longer see the printer but it is very frustrating ..... HELP!

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
As long as the printer is placed on the switch with the other desktops, it should be ok. I know this is simple, but have you tried to reboot the printer? Maybe it needs to get a new IP.

Also, how do you have it setup? Are your clients printing to it via Windows shares?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Can you print a configuration page from the printer and an ip config from the computer.
We need to see if they are in the same subnet