Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU voltage/RAM ? help

• Please log in to reply

hitman89x

hitman89x

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ok, so... here it is... ive had my PC for many years and i had just upgraded my ram from a (512 mb pc 2700) to a (1g pc 3200). I installed my new ram and couldnt boot, it just showed the intel screen. so i put my old ram back in and of course it booted... but.. i went into the BIOS and lowered my cpu to 2.2 ghz and put my new ram back in and it worked but it is slow.. the speed my CPU should be at is 2.8ghz and i also noticed this before i put my new ram in that my core voltage was around 1.8-1.10 and i know it should be higher but i dont know why it is low...

:)

help me please >.< :)

Advertisements

reconman

reconman

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
Well, your computer seems slower because it is lol. You lowered the cpu speed from 2.8ghz to 2.2ghz, you're going to notice a difference. You need to raise the voltage to the same has the voltage of your RAM. I can't really help you out on the specifics because I haven't had to do this yet so I would wait for a techie to respond before you change anything.

hitman89x

hitman89x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
yeah, i know it would be slower.. i was just stating that.. i dont know why.. and the thing is.. that i cant manually raise the voltage..

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Don't go messing around with voltages until you are sure of what you are doing. You definately do not want to raise your CPU voltage to the same level as your RAM voltage. PC3200 DDR RAM typically requires 2.6V, while anything near 2V is certain death for the CPU.

Can you give the exact specifications of your CPU? This problem probably has to do with the faster RAM effectively overclocking the CPU due to the locked FSB:RAM ratio on most motherboards. However, without knowing the FSB of your CPU, I can't be certain of this.

Also, keep in mind that while most DDR RAM requires 2.5V, your PC3200 DDR RAM probably requires 2.6V. If the RAM isn't getting enough voltage, this could cause the problem you are experiencing.

Edited by stettybet0, 17 April 2008 - 04:04 PM.

hitman89x

hitman89x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
ok well my default ram voltage is 2.65V and ive never riased my core voltage to 2V i know it would be death..

my CPU specs:

--------[ CPU ]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU Properties:
CPU Type Mobile Intel Pentium 4 518, 2333 MHz (14 x 167)
CPU Alias Prescott
Instruction Set x86, MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3
Original Clock 2800 MHz
Min / Max CPU Multiplier 14x / 21x
Engineering Sample No
L1 Trace Cache 12K Instructions
L1 Data Cache 16 KB
L2 Cache 1 MB (On-Die, ECC, ATC, Full-Speed)

Multi CPU:
Motherboard ID OEM00000 PROD00000000
CPU #0 IntelMobile Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.80GHz, 2330 MHz
CPU #1 IntelMobile Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.80GHz, 2330 MHz

CPU Manufacturer:
Company Name Intel Corporation
Product Information http://www.intel.com...e/processor.htm

CPU Utilization:
CPU #1 / HTT Unit #1 0 %
CPU #1 / HTT Unit #2 5 %

hitman89x

hitman89x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Other info that might help you..

--------[ Sensor ]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sensor Properties:
Sensor Type Winbond W83697HF (ISA 290h)

Temperatures:
Motherboard 30 °C (86 °F)
CPU 40 °C (104 °F)
WDC WD1200JB-00GVC0 40 °C (104 °F)

Cooling Fans:
CPU 2557 RPM
Chassis 2312 RPM

Voltage Values:
CPU Core 1.09 V
Aux 0.03 V
+3.3 V 3.34 V
+5 V 5.16 V
+12 V 12.04 V
-12 V -6.85 V
-5 V 0.73 V
+5 V Standby 5.04 V
VBAT Battery 3.25 V
Debug Info F 42 49 FF
Debug Info T 30 40 255
Debug Info V 44 02 D1 C0 C6 62 A8 (01)

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Can you get to BIOS with default settings (without downclocking the CPU) with the new RAM? If so, can you write down and report as much info about the speeds of the CPU and RAM as you can? Also see if there is any setting involving an FSB:RAM ratio, or something similar.

hitman89x

hitman89x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
No, the only way i can run normal BIOS settings is if i have my old ram in and yes there is a FSB:RAM ratio

hitman89x

hitman89x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
here is my mother board manual it has all the BIOS stuff in it...

http://www.uabit.com...roduct_name=VT7

Edited by hitman89x, 17 April 2008 - 04:38 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
But surely you are able to access the BIOS with the new RAM. (How would you be able to lower the CPU speed if you couldn't?) I need to know what the BIOS settings are set to (at default) with the new RAM. The manual can't provide this info, as people have different CPUs and RAM.

If this really isn't possible, could you give me the same info except using the old RAM? At least this way I would have the correct CPU settings.

Advertisements

hitman89x

hitman89x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
i lowered the cpu speed with the old ram in then shut down and put new ram in... thats how i got it to work but i will not be able to reset to default and have it work and yes i will put the old ram back in and give you the info.

hitman89x

hitman89x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
-BIOS

Frequency: 2.80Ghz
Cache Size: 1024K

CPU operationg speed 1867(133)
X- CPU FSB Clock (Mhz) 133
X- Multiplier Factor 14x
- Estimated new CPU Clock 1866Mhz
X- DRAM Ratio (DRAM:PCI) By SPD
X- AGP Ratio (CPU:AGP:PCI) Auto (4:2:1)
- New CPU/DDR/AGP/PCI CLK 133/166/ 66/33

Voltages Control Default
X- CPU Core Voltage By CPU
X- DRAM Voltage 2.65
X- AGP Voltage 1.55

This is with my old RAM in and everything set to its default
anything else needed?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I'm not seeing where it shows the FSB:RAM ratio, but it seems to be about a 4:5 ratio. Thus, with your new RAM which has an underlying speed of 200mhz, the FSB would be running at 260mhz, which would cause your CPU to be running at 3360mhz, which it cannot handle with stock voltage.

What are the possible choices for the DRAM:PCI ratio setting?

reconman

reconman

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

You definately do not want to raise your CPU voltage to the same level as your RAM voltage.

I probably should have been a bit clearer. I meant to raise the RAM voltage settings to what the actual voltage of the new RAM is.

hitman89x

hitman89x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
3:1
4:1
5:1
6:1

and for some reason my computer is restarting on its own now..