Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Upgrading a Mac

• Please log in to reply

g33kgirl

g33kgirl

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I am looking to buy a Macbook in the immediate future. I'm looking for something cheap like this cheap one. I have heard Macs are hard to upgrade, or even completely un-upgradable. Can stuff like the RAM be upgraded?

I've only ever owned PC desktop/notebooks and that is easy to upgrade so I need to know if I'm going to run into problems trying to upgrade RAM and such.

Thank you in advance!

Advertisements

Dellica

Dellica

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
RAM is about the only thing you can upgrade yourself. There are upgrades that could be put into certain mac's but those are limited. For certain mac's you can buy graka-upgradekits where you'll get a new graphical card for your mac but those are only a select few out there.

However, almost any mac has the ability to upgrade ram. Wether is an iMac or macbook pro. On the ability of doing it yourself is something else :)
there is ofcourse a limit towards upgradingposibilities on certain types.

Edited by Dellica, 18 April 2008 - 04:08 AM.

FadeToBright

FadeToBright

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
RAM & a hard drive are about it.

g33kgirl

g33kgirl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the answers! It sucks how Apple won't let users replace their own parts (can't even replace your iPhone battery without sending in the whole phone!)

FadeToBright

FadeToBright

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
It's for more $, ya know what I mean? :)

Dellica

Dellica

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
It's not realy nessecary. My Apple just keeps working with whatever hardware for whatever time. If theres one brand that makes sure their stuff works its Apple, and by making it work they look further then next year imho.