Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What's the best way to back up HDs?

• Please log in to reply

aaaa44

aaaa44

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
Compaq Presario 5000 Model 5BW220, built 7/19/00, 15G master drive, 40G slave drive, 630 MHz Intel Celeron processor, 512MB RAM, Compaq 06C0 motherboard

I want to back up my HDs. What is the best way to do it? I at least want to back up the master drive, but ideally both. The options I've seen with the little research I've done are: IDE raid card, True Image software, backing up stuff with cds and dvds, or having an external hard drive or zip drive. Isn't mirroring A LOT easier than backing stuff up all the time? It seems like people would mirror their HDs more than it seems they do. With mirroring HDs can be replaced when they actually go bad not just because they're old which is a waste. My understanding of computers is basic. Any replies would be appreciated.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The tried and true method is to use Norton Ghost. I have tried Acronis True Image, and Paragon drive copy with some success and a lot of failures. I have gone back to using Ghost and it has not failed me since the time i first tried it and made a image wrong. heres a good tutorial, and you can buy Ghost pretty cheaply on Ebay.

http://ghost.radified.com/

SRX660