Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

External SATA hard drives not recognised

• Please log in to reply

clingon

clingon

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I did have a Dell Dimension 9150, with two SATA drives that accross both, contained the operating system & 400GB+ worth of files.

The motherboard in the 9150 failed, I was told that I'd be better off getting a new PC as the motherboards in Dells are expensive to replace and other cheaper motherbaords wouldn't fit the case.

Until I can get a new PC, I've bought an external SATA enclosure to see if I can take the drives out and connect them to my other older PC a Dell 8200, in an effort to gain access to their files.

The older PC only has one internal 40gb IDE drive, so I've connected the SATA external hard drive by USB.

Both the PCs have Windows XP

The first of the two SATA drives I tried, showed up in My Computer, but when you clicked on it,it said the drive was not formatted would I like to format it now. I couldn't get access to its data at all.

I tried the second, it didn't show up in My Computer but did show up in Disk Management.
It shows up as online but says it is unallocated and doesn't have a right click option to assign a drive letter.

Any ideas on how to get access to the files?

I can put up screen shots etc, any help would be great thanks :)

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go!

Make sure the older PC you're now trying to use has an NTFS partition on which XP is installed. It may be a FAT32 partition, in which case it won't be able read the partitions on the your sata disks which most likely contain data on NTFS partitions.

clingon

clingon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Welcome to Geeks2Go!

Make sure the older PC you're now trying to use has an NTFS partition on which XP is installed. It may be a FAT32 partition, in which case it won't be able read the partitions on the your sata disks which most likely contain data on NTFS partitions.

Thanks Pip, I've checked, file system on the old pc is all NTFS not FAT32. Any other ideas?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I have not tried this because the customer did not want to take any chances with his business files. Here is a method that may fix your problem.

http://www.techsuppo...ticles/149.html

SRX660

clingon

clingon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

I have not tried this because the customer did not want to take any chances with his business files.

Thanks SRX660 take it its quite a big risk/ non-reversable? Do you know if its been programmed to work with SATA drives, cant see any mention of them being used.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
That i don't know as i have not had a problem computer come in for me to try this method.

SRX660

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Could you try the enclosure with the SATA disk on another computer, a more modern one. It might be that something related to SATA is disabled or missing in the older computer, or it has no SATA drivers installed. Check in the BIOS that everything related to SATA and USB 2.0 is enabled.

clingon

clingon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks guys, think I might try running that prog if nothing else is working as a last resort just to be on the safe side.

In the mean time, I've tried the drives in a newer laptop.... no luck.

Today I just bought a brand new PC to replace my old broken one, its a new HP complete with SATA hard drive.

I'm guessing as its working fine, that it should have all the right BIOS settings enabled etc......

Tried both drives.... still no luck yet :)

I've installed a couple of recovery programs that can both see the drives OK, but due to the large volume of files its gonna be a difficult task trying to recover them all.

Cant understand if disk management can see both drives & all the files are there, why the drives aren't being recognised just as external hard drives?

Could it be because there's allready been an OS installed on them?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I have seen cases where I could only open a drive in Disk Managment. Right-click on the disk and choose Open.

clingon

clingon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
O.K. the disk doesn't appear under the volume column of disk managment as a drive like the others.

I have the option of right clicking on the other PC's drives and opening them, but the external sata only appears in the window below as "disk 5" it doesn't have a drive letter assigned to it, the only thing I can right click on for this drive, is the big white rectangular block that details the drives size and the fact that its "unallocated".

When I right click on this, it gives me the option to "create a partition" or go in to "properties".

Should I try create a new partition?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Creating a new partition will surely worsen the situation. I wonder if another disk, any SATA disk, would be recognized. I also wonder if the two disks will be recognized by your new computer if you attach them directly to the motherboard.

When I bought my enclosure (IDE to USB) the computer would not recognize the disk (a new one) until I initialized it in Drive Management, and formatted it. I had no problem when I connected it directly with an IDE cable. I wonder If the problem that you have is not related in some way.

I think that your best option would be to recover the data, unless someone comes with a better idea.

clingon

clingon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks Skeptic, I've had a brainstorm but I've not sure if I'd be wasting my time trying it?

I've been trying a few recovery progs to see if I can get some info back.

They're all taking a long time as I expected as there's a lot of info.

Also a lot of the recovered files are corrupt or incomplete.

Here's the idea....

The main prob seems to be that the PC isn't picking up the SATA hard drives hard properly.

Would it be possible to use software and create an image of the 250GB Sata drive that I cant access, then copy the full image on to a larger hard drive that the PC does recognise and trying to access the content that way?

Would that work? If so is there any software out there that would be able to carry this out well?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You can try this. Download DriveImage XML from the link in my signature and give it a try.

clingon

clingon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks, I had a bash, but the software doesn't pick up the drive as a result cant create an image of it :)

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Have you tried to take the sata disks out of the enclosure and connect them directly to the new motherboard on the new computer? Please do so with one disk at a time.