Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trying to disable a new bluetooth PAN network connection. What is it?

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Ok well I bought my first bluetooth usb dongle today for my mobile phone. The dongle actually works with an array of equipment but I'm only using it for my mobile phone. Anyways it came with a mini installation disc, which I installed it before connecting the bluetooth usb dongle to my pc. The bluetooth usb dongle I purchased is a "plug and play" device, so I would assume it installs itself with no need of a cd install. However, I'm not sure if the mini disc that came with the bluetooth usb dongle is a driver cd, an application, or both. Regardless this is how I installed the entire thing!

1. Created a Windows Xp system recovery point [just in case].

2. Scanned usb dongle installation mini disc for virus' using AVG Free and found none.

3. Ran setup for bluetooth usb dongle installation mini disc [chose "No auto start in win xp systray", and "No desktop icon needed" during the install process], than finished the entire setup installation.

4. Plugged in the bluetooth usb dongle to one of my pcs empty usb ports.

5. Launched the newly installed [from mini disc] "Blue Soleil" application via my Windows Xp "All Programs" menu. The "Blue Soleil" application is sort of a "all in one bluetooth center" that allows you to transfer files files from a pc to a mobile phone, add a printer, add cameras, synchronize, communicate with a laptop, pda, etc.

6. Upon first run the application asked me what type of security level to choose. The default setting was "medium security" so I left that selected.

7. I than went into my mobile phone's menu and searched for new devices. I chose to add the the bluetooth usb dongle when it was found by my mobile phone.

8. My mobile phone than asked me to me enter a new passkey for the device, so I chose a numeral passkey which I will not mention since it is private [ie: "XXXX"].

9. Than a security window dialog box popped up in the "Blue Soleil" application, which asked me to enter the same passkey I had just entered in my mobile phone.

10. From there on everything was fine! [ie: transferring themes, games, files, and more from my pc to my mobile phone]

I've never used any bluetooth usb dongle ever. Nor have I ever setup bluetooth software before as well. So one thing I immediately noticed after installing the mini disc software and connecting the bluetooth usb dongle to my pc, was that there is now a new network connection icon in my systray as seen below:

Posted Image

I went in my "control panel>network and internet connections>network connections" and clearly seen that there is a new network connection created from what I assume was the "Blue Soleil" mini disc application:

Posted Image

I don't know what it's for... It's called bluetooth PAN or something like that. I really think that it has something to do with the "Blue Soleil" mini disc application, and was more than likely created by it. The thing that's gettin me mad is the fact that I don't want any new network connection whatsoever. If it's for something like using the internet on your mobile phone for free with the signal coming from the pc - I don't care! I won't be doing any of that kind of stuff... Nor do I care if it's for some type of internet connectivity with a laptop. I don't know what it's for and I'm running somewhat of an old pc [Pentium 3/512MB Ram], so every time I restart my pc now I have to wait longer for the darn new network connection icon to load in my systray and notify me that "A network cable is unplugged", which is why you can see the red "X" network icon in the first image above.

My systray load is crucial for me being that I'm using an old pc. So I spent 4 hours last night figuring out how to get the darn new connection out of my systray and how to disable it. You see one thing I should mention is that when I launch the new network icon connects and disappears when I launch the "Blue Soleil" application as you can see here:

[After launching the "Blue Soleil" software you can see the new connection connecting]

Posted Image

[Once the "Blue Soleil" software has been fully launched the new network connection disappears]

Posted Image

[The network connection can than be seen fully working in my "control panel>network and internet connections>network connections"]

Posted Image

[Once the "Blue Soleil" application is exited the network connection becomes visible again with a red "X", and states that a cable is unplugged for some crap forsaken reason - I don't see why it would mention anything about a cable]

Posted Image

So my idea of getting rid of the network connection took hours. I don't know if I'm doing something right, or doing something that could potentially hurt my pc or internet. Anyways this is what I did to get rid of the darn network connection in my systray and disable it.

To get the annoying new network connection off of my systray, I had to go into my "control panel>network and internet connections>network connections", select the bluetooth usb dongle PAN network connection by highlighting it, than selecting "disable this connection" from the left menu window as seen here:

[Disabling]

Posted Image

[Disabled]

Posted Image

By doing that the network connection fully disappears off of my systray and never comes up again. Not even when I restart my pc! But one thing that does happen is the fact that the "Blue Soleil" software has a small pop up notification stating that the PAN network is disabled and will not work unless it's connected as seen here:

Posted Image

"Blue Soleil" still runs fine but I still get the notice of no PAN network every time I launch the application. So I snooped around in the program and noticed that there is an auto start menu option in the application's "tools>properties" panel. & more importantly a 'PAN AUTOSTART" section. So I basically deselected the "PAN AUTOSTART" in "Blue Soleil" and never got the message about the PAN network being disabled again when launching "Blue Soleil". Here's the menu section where I disabled it:

Posted Image

Now all I did was guess my way around to doing all of this. & from the looks of it doing so get's the new red "X" network connection out of my systray, disables it, and make's "Blue Soleil" work perfectly without any notice of a PAN network being disabled.

What I would like to know is the following:

1. What in the world is the PAN network connection which got on my system one way or another after installing "Blue Soleil", or plugging in my bluetooth usb dongle?

2. What is a PAN network for and can it be harmful to my pc security wise?

3. Are the steps I took in order to get rid of the network connection on my systray and disabled PAN network notification out of the "Blue Soleil" application ok for me to do? Or am I ruining my pc by doing what I did? [ie: disable network connection, and deselecting automatic PAN network in "Blue Soleil"]

Any other information and safety tips about using a bluetooth usb dongle would be great too!

- Thank You

Edited by superstar, 17 April 2008 - 07:31 PM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
PAN stands for "Personal Area Networking" where two computers with Bluetooth can transfer files over a short distance. The new connection is perfectly normal for bluetooth dongles. disabling the connection as you have is perfectly ok if you don't want to use that feature and won't harm your pc. you may want to read this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883259