Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Applications on computer won't work

• Please log in to reply

hajiwon

hajiwon

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
My computer was working fine, just after I used VirtualDub, which probably caused the problem.

I opened VirtualDub to crop a video file, while it was in the process of creating the cropped file, a window popped up and said I ran out of free space. It turned out the file I was saving was VERY BIG (i forgot to uncheck an option in VirtualDub).

Afterwards, everything lagged, so I restarted the computer.

Everything now seems normal and no more lag, but I can't seem to open applications (such as media player, cleanup tools, nero, spyware blaster...) But My Documents, My Computer, Control Panel, and sometimes internet (mozilla) works.

Can someone please help me? Thank you very much.

PS. I already tried system restore and it doesn't work.

Edited by hajiwon, 18 April 2008 - 11:49 AM.

Advertisements

texas666

texas666

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Get Process Explorer here http://technet.micro...ls/default.aspx to
see what is lagging down your system. Task manger just doesn't do the job. For example, you can hover the mouse over the multiple svchost processes and the associated processes will display. You will be able to better isolate the problem to aid in the problem analysis.

hajiwon

hajiwon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
^ actually, my computer doesn't lag anymore. A few applications won't open and media player would freeze after i open it.

hajiwon

hajiwon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
can anyone please help?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Try the EXE File Association Fix from the Doug Knox site, see if that helps.

hajiwon

hajiwon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
^i tried it, but it doesn't seem to work...

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What application won't open? Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling them?

hajiwon

hajiwon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
media player opens, but then it freezes afterwards, so i can't play any media files. I tried uninstalling other applications such as GOM player and then tried playing media files with it. It worked after i reinstall it, but when i turn off my computer, it doesn't work again...

sometimes the internet browser would open and sometimes it won't. Usually i would have to restart the computer several times to be able to open it.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Look in Event Viewer and see if any errors are being logged (they will be in RED)

Click Start then Run, type eventvwr.msc and press Enter or click OK

Look in all three categories listed on the left. Double click on any error to look at the details. Use the arrows to move up and down in the events listed.

hajiwon

hajiwon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
i can only view event viewer in safe mode at the moment... i see lots of ERRORS, but what what do i do after, the user action didn't help the problem.
----------------------
Safe MODE works fine (has no sound though), but the regular startup doesn't.

Edited by hajiwon, 25 April 2008 - 12:16 PM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You probably need to delete that very large file. It may be taking up the space needed for your virtual memory. Have you found it and deleted it yet? When i was working with Virualdub I alway put the very large file on another hard drive, generally and external one, but it could be an added internal one.

hajiwon

hajiwon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
^ yes, i already deleted the file. Right now, i have 22.6 GB free space.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Not something I like to recommend, but if you have a XP CD or a way to reinstall XP, it might be faster and cleaner to back up your data and do a reinstall.

Depending on the resource you have available you could try a Repair Install first, which leaves your data and most programs intact, but i f that doesn't fix the problem you will have to do a clean install which means formatting the drive, thus losing all your data.

What is the make and model of your computer? Do you have a XP CD, recovery CD or a recovery partiton on the hard drive?

hajiwon

hajiwon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
i don't have a XP CD... my computer was put together by a friend (who unfortunately cannot help me)...

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Try this then.

First, physically disconnect from the Internet to prevent a malware infection while your Anti-virus and/or Firewall are disabled in the following steps, then boot to Safe Mode.

Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab then the Disable All button.
Do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.

If no, boot to Safe Mode again, start msconfig and click on the Services tab.
Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box then click the Disable All button.
Again, do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services till you find the culprit.

Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system. Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best. Enable everything else you disabled.

Reconnect to the Internet when your AV and firewall are active again.