Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New computer build not starting

• Please log in to reply

drechner

drechner

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I just built my first computer today after much research. However, once I put in all the hardware and tried to power my machine, nothing works. The only thing that goes on is the green motherboard LED. The fans do not turn on, neither does the hard drive. I have double-checked everything to make sure I set it up correctly. Is this a sign of a bad power supply? I don't know how to test that though. Could it be the motherboard?

I have an Intel 2.4 ghz quad
4gb RAM
MSI 8800GTS 512mb
OCZ 700-watt
Creative Audigy SE
WD 640gb 7200 RPM
ASUS P5N-D 750i ATX motherboard

Thank you for your assistance in advance. It's been pretty disheartening to get so excited about this machine then not have it work.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Swap the power supply out and ensure the front panel switches are correct, its easy to mix up reset and power switch especially if they're labelled wrongly on the case in the first place :)

Edited by Neil Jones, 18 April 2008 - 03:31 AM.

Dellica

Dellica

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Might also be a good idea to do another check on the powercables for CPU & mobo. Also are the powerconnections of your fans for cpu (and southbridge maybe) are properly or at all connected to the motherboard.

drechner

drechner

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the advice; I'll give all of those suggestions a try. I tried some of them last night, but I'll go through everything again just to make sure. I'll let you know what the outcome is.

Edit: I double-checked and put in all the power connectors again and checked everything was in the right place on the motherboard. Still nothing except the green LED.

I'm going to buy a power supply from a local store or something so I can quickly see if that's the issue. I hope it's not the motherboard...

Edited by drechner, 18 April 2008 - 10:12 AM.

drechner

drechner

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well, I bought a new PSU and still the same thing - nothing except the green LED.What else should I do? Is it my motherboard?

Update: I pulled out the mobo and reconnected only 1 RAM stick, the video card, and CPU. The case actually turned on with the fans that were connected to the PSU and my mobo made a constant sustained beep along with a couple other beeps. This was odd because I did not hit the power button but only turned on the PSU power on the back.

When I plugged in my monitor to see if it said anything and plugged in the PCI E power connector, my computer is back to doing nothing but the green LED. Is there a short on my mobo? Is my CPU fan not locked down securely enough?

Edited by drechner, 18 April 2008 - 12:25 PM.