Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

laptop will no longer hibernate

• Please log in to reply

Lexa

Lexa

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Until a few days ago, whenever I closed the lid on my laptop, the computer would hibernate. Today, however, when I closed the lid, the computer continued to run. I went into the power options in my control panel, but the only option there for when I close the lid is "do nothing." I've had this computer for five years, and this has never happened to me before. I can't even find a way to make it hibernate manually. Could this be due to a new windows update? I really need to be able to save power, but still save the data on my desktop. Is there any way to fix this? Thanks!

Advertisements

Dellica

Dellica

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
What model & make is your laptop?
Don't you have the secundary fucntion-buttons marked as 'FN' and usually in a different button. Most laptops have an FN - hibernate combination to make the laptop go into hibernation.

Look for a button with 'zzz' or a moon-symbol on and press it together with FN to see what happends.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Lexa, what have you done to your laptop recently? Did you install or uninstall any software, update any drivers, install any Windows Updates?

Go back into Power Options, click on the Hibernate tab and make sure Enable Hibernation is checked. Click Apply then OK.

If it's already checked, try unchecking it, clicking Apply then OK and rebooting. Go back and uncheck, Apply and OK, see if that helps.

Edited by Ztruker, 18 April 2008 - 07:14 PM.

CamTheMan

CamTheMan

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Hi Lexa and guys,

I just want to add why this may have happened...

What may have caused this is you may have deleted your Hibernation file from Disk Cleanup.I've done that before...

Hope that helped find the cause..

-Cam

Edited by CamTheMan, 18 April 2008 - 07:18 PM.

Lexa

Lexa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi everyone. Thanks for the replies!

Yes, I did just update a driver. My computer was also set to install updates automatically, which I changed. Today, when I turned on my computer (after leaving it off all night), everything was back to normal. Go figure.

--Lexa