Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How to format HDD for use in a network enclosure

• Please log in to reply

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello

I have an IDE hard drive that I want to put into a network enclosure. It’s in an old PC running Win 2000 Pro and is formatted NTFS.
I need it formatted FAT32 for the network enclosure – what I would like to know is the best way to get it formatted that way.
Can it be formatted in the enclosure or must it be in a PC.

Thanks

Chris

Advertisements

S_t_r_y_k_e_r

S_t_r_y_k_e_r

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

what I would like to know is the best way to get it formatted that way

Assuming the drive you wish to format is not the operating system drive, the easiest way is:

Right Click the My Computer Icon
Select the Manage option and a the Computer Management Console will appear
From the left hand pane under Storage select Disk Management This will show all disks in the computer
Right click on the on the drive you want and select format

Follow the step by step guide. There will be a point where there is the option to specify what file format to use. Choose FAT32 then continue on following the instructions. Once all the steps are completed, Windows will format the drive.

If the drive you wish to format is the operating system drive, then there are two options:

1. Format it in the network enclosure
2. Put the harddisk into another computer as a "slave" drive and follow the steps above.

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Thanks S_t_r_y_k_e_r

The HDD is the O/S so I'll get all the kit together and format the HDD in the enclosure
I assume you fit the HDD to the enclosure connect it to the router and it should be visible to all networked PCs
Do you need to get an IP address to map it to the PCs

Thanks again :)

Chris

S_t_r_y_k_e_r

S_t_r_y_k_e_r

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

I assume you fit the HDD to the enclosure connect it to the router and it should be visible to all networked PCs

Thats correct.....when you connect it to the router, it will assign it an IP address automatically using DHCP.

I've not really used networked enclosures, as I run a server environment in my house, therefore I simply share the hard drives/partitions that I need. If the enclosure comes with software, then it will no doubt allow you to assign it an IP address.

If it doesn't come with software, then you can always access your router and it will have the option to view all DHCP clients.

To access the files on, you go to Start select Run
In the run command, type \\XXX.XXX.X.X where the X's represent the IP address
Press Enter and it will show you all the files/folders on the drive.

Alternatively, you can create shortcuts to the folder(s) you want in My Network Places.

Give me a shout if you need any further assistance.

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Thanks again S_t_r_y_k_e_r

I'll post again if I need any more help

Chris

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello

Just thought I'd let you know that I bought a Network enclosure and added my old HDD - formatted it (FAT32) in the enclosure and it is now working ok.
Visible on both the PCs on my network

Thanks again for the advice :)