Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Will Not Turn.

• Please log in to reply

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
My friend has an old E Machine computer that wasn't used for awhile because it wasn't working properly so and I told him I would take a look at for him so when I got the machine I turned it on ran a Chkdsk then it came back on however I then turned it off for a little over a week I then go to turn the machine back on and now it will not power on. I"m not sure whats wrong with it. I opened the machine up made sure no wires were loose but it still will not turn on. I was hopeing someone might be able to help me out. Thank you.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
If nothing even lights up or no spinning noises it's impossible to begin anywhere with a diagnosis on a forum. It needs some knowledgeable person giving it a physical inspection to ascertain what actually works (if anything) and what doesn't. You may want to study this and work methodically through it:
http://imhdd.ms11.ne...d_computer.html

Edited by pip22, 18 April 2008 - 06:54 AM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Problems with eMachines can usually be traced back to the power supply.
More advanced problems with eMachines power supplies usually mean they've killed the board as well.

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Ok so I was able to get the computer to finally come on. However now for some reason my keyboard will not work. I have a tried both a PS2 and USB keyboard and niether work. I have also went to device settings removed the keyboard and restarted to see if windows would automatically install the drivers again but I'm still having no luck. Also when I turn off the computer and turn it back on before windows loads it looks like the keyboard is going to work when I press the "Num Lock" key the light will go on and off and the same thing with "Caps Lock" key but once windows loads the key board stops working? I was hoping someone might be able to help me out. Thank You

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
If the power supply is failing it may not be giving enough power to run the keyboard.
However, if you keep using this machine with a suspect power supply you are risking the mother board!
Please follow the link that PIP22 gave you and work through this step by step.

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
It doesnt have a power supply problem. The machine is working fine except for the keyboard like I mentioned in my previous post. Do you have any suggestions for me as far as the keyboard goes? Thanks