Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

firewire card installation problem

• Please log in to reply

peter1

peter1

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

Im trying to install a NISIS firewire card onto my computer, which runs on Windows XP, which means it should already have the driver installed for this particular card.

I originally installed the card in the second PCI slot, but when this didnt work I moved it to the first slot, as I had read another user had had this problem and solved it this way. It didnt work.

The computer recognises the new hardware and automatically starts up the hardware wizard to install it. But then a message comes up reading "an error has occurred with the installation of this device. The data is invalid".

I've tried:
- removing the card and looking in windows explorer (inc hidden files) to find and remove any traces of the previous installation so I can try again.Could not find any

- downloading service pack1 from microsoft website, which was suggested by product website.

- checking for any faults on card itself- there arent any, connectors are fine.

each attempt brings the same message. i've run out of ideas and am losing the will to live.please help!

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

i've run out of ideas and am losing the will to live.

<_< That's serious!

Looks to me like you've done everything correctly. A firewire card should install without any intervention. Sound like perhaps a defective card. :D

peter1

peter1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks. yeah, i think thats the only solution. going to return the card and get a new one. any suggestions on good firewire cards for XP?

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
Did it gave you a install cd with the card? what make is the card?
<_<

peter1

peter1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
hi,

no, the only CD enclosed was the Ulead editing suite which has nothing to do with the card itself, which is by NISIS. <_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

any suggestions on good firewire cards for XP?

It really shouldn't matter. Just find the best deal, software package, whatever meets you needs the best. A generic OEM bare card should perform just as well as any other. <_<