Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

[HELP] Windows XP shuts down while playing games

• Please log in to reply

Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I've been noticing that my computer shuts down once in a while when I am playing online games. I dont know the reason why though..

I've scanned my computer for viruses,malware,spywares with AVG 8 and Windows Defender.
I've defragged the system. Clean cookies and cache from my browsers.
But yet it still happens once in a while especially when during first person shooting game where sudden face to face
clashes happens or sometimes it just automatically shutsdown even when I'm doing nothing inside the game.

My PC specs are the following:
ECS: G31T-M Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 2.20GHz overclocked to 2.52GHz
ATI Radeon HD2600 PRO 512MB
1Gb RAM

The game shutsdown on the following games:
Warrock Online - http://www.warrock.ph/
Manga Fighter Online - http://mangafighter.gamescampus.com/
Freestyle Online - http://freestyle.lev...es.ph/index.php

Do you think its about the temperature? It gets really hot when I'm playing.
my PC is cut-off time is about 1-2hrs a day. So I'd say its on for about 22-23hrs.

I don't have a cooler but it has fans on the front and back.. the processor also have fans.
there's also an exhaust fan on the side of the case. But my Graphic Card doesnt have any.

I also look at eventvwr.msc and I found an error which might be the cause.
here is the report.

Windows saved user NAVI\User registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

Posted Image

Please help me how to fix this thing.. :)

Edited by Konata Izumi, 18 April 2008 - 10:15 AM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Konata Izumi...

All of the ATI Radeon HD2600 PRO cards I have seen have a fan. The temperature you listed is pretty high and may well be the problem...particularly during game play when it will likely be higher still. I'd suggest looking into getting a fan for the card, whether it's a replacement fan from ATI or and aftermarket fan that fits to a PCI slot under the video card like this one...you need to cool the card down a little.

Download and run Speedfan on the machine...post me a screenshot of the application window (Readings tab selected) after the machine has run for a bit. It may be that you have more than just a hot video card and this will show the other temperatures and the voltages the power supply is providing the hardware.

wannabe1

Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Here's the screenshot :)
wow! can this software overclock the fan speeds?
how?! how!?

and can I install that one on my ECS G31T-M motherboard?

Posted Image

Edited by Konata Izumi, 21 April 2008 - 12:06 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
On machines that support fan controls, SpeedFan will allow you to adjust the fan speeds. If you have an open PCI slot below your video card, you can install the fan in the link to help cool your card.

The temperatures all look good, but the power supply is showing low 12 volt readings. A half a volt variance is acceptable, but your 12 volt rail is almost 3 volts low. That can cause problems such as those you describe. The harder the machine works, the more likely a crash. It may be time to replace the one you have installed with a new one.

Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hehe.. that must be because I overclocked my processor.
My friend told me to increase something in the BIOS settings.

You said "The temperatures all look good" so.. my graphic card isnt hot?
Does that mean its not necessary to buy a fan?

Can you take a look for my motherboard (ECS G31T-M) and give me a screenshot
where the PCI slot is located.. I only have one graphic card inserted maybe I'll buy a fan when
I've got money :)

What do you mean by "It may be time to replace the one you have installed with a new one."?
what should I replace?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The power supply is what you should replace...the 12 volt rail is reading pretty low.

SpeedFan didn't show your graphics card, but judging from the information you provided earlier, it's running a little too warm. You should install a fan...either a replacement from ATI or the one I linked you to. If you use the one from the link, it would fit to one of the longer white slots under the one your graphics card is in (red one).
ECS_G31T_M.png

Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
So.. what kind of power supply should I buy?
Is my power supply's life already coming to end?
I just brought the whole brand new machine last december so its only 4months old.

What's the best power supply for my MOTHERBOARD?

I think I can buy at the end of the week.
Forgive me of my bad ENGLISH

Edited by Konata Izumi, 21 April 2008 - 12:58 PM.